Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi automatic

Options
  • 24-07-2016 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for an a5 for a friend, but they all seem to be manuals.
    Automatics are few and far between.

Is there any reason why the majority are manual ?

When looking at 520d's they are all autos.

What's the story with audis

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,156 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The automatic gearbox that was offered on front wheel drive Audis like the A4, A5 and A6 up to recently was the multitronic CVT box which wasn't great. They only recently replaced that with the superior Stronic (DSG) box. Probably down to buyer habit and budget too, similar way most buyers opt for non quattro versions over quattro versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭mikeecho

What year did the dsg box come in the A5

In 2.0 TDi Quattro form from around 2011 afaik but I'm not an expert on them. It was available on the bigger engines well before that.

bazz26 wrote: »
    In 2.0 TDi Quattro form from around 2011 afaik but I'm not an expert on them. It was available on the bigger engines well before that.

I'm looking for a 2L diesel A5, preferable auto.

Don't want to get a shytti gear box.
    Haven't driven an audi auto yet.

I suggest test driving an example of both and see what you think. I test drove the bigger A6 in both manual and multitronic, and preferred the manual.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

mikeecho wrote: »
    I'm looking for a 2L diesel A5, preferable auto.

Don't want to get a shytti gear box.
    Haven't driven an audi auto yet.

Should be the DSG box , tiptronic and sports mode ?

i have one on a 200bph car and it works just fine , the changes can be a little jerky so if your picky you can use the paddles

i do sometimes for undertaking and its surprisingly fun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

mynamejeff wrote: »
    i have one on a 200bph car and it works just fine , the changes can be a little jerky so if your picky you can use the paddles

Dowtcha boy!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Until someone pulls in on top of you while you're passing where you shouldn't and then the fun will end rapidly.

I hate lane weavers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

sorry of course i ment overtake not undertake.

yes it has been serviced but the jerkyness is really only evident in lower gears

all in all i m very happy with the dsg box

sorry of course i ment overtake not undertake.

yes it has been serviced but the jerkyness is really only evident in lower gears

all in all i m very happy with the dsg box

My A6 has the tiptronic/DSG-style box with paddle shifters as well and it's just fantastic.. although I rarely bother with manual mode myself. I find it does a great job on it's own :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    My A6 has the tiptronic/DSG-style box with paddle shifters as well and it's just fantastic.. although I rarely bother with manual mode myself. I find it does a great job on it's own :)

That's a bit confusing...

Tiptronic auto-box is a box that allows the driver to manually change the gears.

2008-porsche-cayenne-awd-4-door-tiptronic-gear-shift_100263927_l.jpg

Steering wheel paddles can be installed to any tiptronic gearbox, it is just a different way of telling the gearbox ecu to shift.

DSG is a VAG brand of dual clutch gearboxes...

In an Audi A6 you either have an S-Tronic (which is a DSG Gearbox) or a Multitronic. Both can looks exactly the same on the outside, with the PRND lever and paddle shift.

grogi wrote: »

Tiptronic auto-box is a box that allows the driver to manually change the gears.

Steering wheel paddles can be installed to any tiptronic gearbox, it is just a different way of telling the gearbox ecu to shift.

In an Audi A6 you either have an S-Tronic (which is a DSG Gearbox) or a Multitronic. Both can looks exactly the same on the outside, with the PRND lever and paddle shift.

Well mine is a 3L TDI Quattro V6 with tiptronic/Stronic/DSG (all the same as you say) and the paddle shift option as well.

In reality though 99.999% of the time I just leave it in D and make judicious use of the right pedal. It accelerates and moves through the gears very well on its own and is far better suited to the bigger engine and 4WD setup than a manual IMO.

Thankfully the Irish "fear/hatred" of automatics in general is dying off so there's plenty of great cars with this kind of setup around now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,677 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Older A6's and the bi-turbo are Tiptronic, which I think is a torque converter rather than dual clutch (S-Tronic) or CVT (Multitronic).

Well mine is a 3L TDI Quattro V6 with tiptronic/Stronic/DSG (all the same as you say) and the paddle shift option as well.

In reality though 99.999% of the time I just leave it in D and make judicious use of the right pedal. It accelerates and moves through the gears very well on its own and is far better suited to the bigger engine and 4WD setup than a manual IMO.

Thankfully the Irish "fear/hatred" of automatics in general is dying off so there's plenty of great cars with this kind of setup around now.

I would not put the lack of quality AT on the "fear" of automatics.

Sure - there are some doubts about the technology, but it is recent advancements that made automatics as efficient as manuals. In the past an automatic car would not only consume more (according to the specs), but would drive nice only with much bigger engines - and those were not really popular this side of the Pond.

Once the 6-speed and 8-speed autos, with dual-clutch or with smooth lock-up started to show up, they are getting popular adoption. The biggest obstacle, especially in the budget market, is still the price...

OSI wrote: »
    Tiptronic and S-Tronic are different gearboxes. Tiptronic is a more conventional torque converter style box, S-Tronic is Audi's name for the DSG and was only fitted to Diesels starting in 2011 I believe.

Ah better again then seeing as I'm aiming for an automatic 2012 3L TDI Quattro A6 next if all goes as planned :)

I would not put the lack of quality AT on the "fear" of automatics.

Sure - there are some doubts about the technology, but it is recent advancements that made automatics as efficient as manuals. In the past an automatic car would not only consume more (according to the specs), but would drive nice only with much bigger engines - and those were not really popular this side of the Pond.

Once the 6-speed and 8-speed autos, with dual-clutch or with smooth lock-up started to show up, they are getting popular adoption. The biggest obstacle, especially in the budget market, is still the price...

You'll still find a lot of people who will refuse the auto though as the manual gives them "more control" they say.

Each to their own but all I'm saying is that certainly it's a lot easier to find something nice in automatic form these days as the popularity (especially in the "premium" brands) has definitely increased.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Ah better again then seeing as I'm aiming for an automatic 2012 3L TDI Quattro A6 next if all goes as planned :)

Seemed to be more quattro A7s around than A6s when I was looking this time last year, but i was looking 2013 and up. A6s seemed to all be 2.0tdi ultras.

I got an A5 with that running gear in the end. Mid life crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

2008-porsche-cayenne-awd-4-door-tiptronic-gear-shift_100263927_l.jpg

You know that's a picture of the Porsche version of the VW Touareg right? :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭FluffyAngel

Does it have to be an Audi? is it you that has disability?
    are yo
    if its u,what do you need car for?

Audi is a brand name that don't care wether i live or die, are you ready to care for your life?
    the reason i say the above is,are u buying a name instead of what you need

i am driving a piccaso,that is the most loaded with gadets cars i ever seen,it has bells and whistles
    and i was an audi man, are you getting what u need? have you been assessed for driving ? (iwa) have an assessment in midlands and were invaluable to me..

make sure you get your needs sorted

if the car is for somebody else,are you getting them what they need?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Does it have to be an Audi? is it you that has disability?
    are yo
    if its u,what do you need car for?

Audi is a brand name that don't care wether i live or die, are you ready to care for your life?
    the reason i say the above is,are u buying a name instead of what you need

i am driving a piccaso,that is the most loaded with gadets cars i ever seen,it has bells and whistles
    and i was an audi man, are you getting what u need? have you been assessed for driving ? (iwa) have an assessment in midlands and were invaluable to me..

make sure you get your needs sorted

if the car is for somebody else,are you getting them what they need?

Taxi for one....

• Advertisement

You know that's a picture of the Porsche version of the VW Touareg right? :-)

It was a poem - so many hidden meanings... ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Taxi for one....
    Fare up front, please.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Seemed to be more quattro A7s around than A6s when I was looking this time last year,.

Thats because there were no Fail wheel drive A7's made :)

Multitronic is a FWD gear box only.

Tiptronic is a quattro gear box only.

Up until very recently S tronic was also quattro only but i think it's replaced the multitronice on FWD models.

tossy wrote: »
    Thats because there were no Fail wheel drive A7's made :)

Multitronic is a FWD gear box only.

Tiptronic is a quattro gear box only.

Up until very recently S tronic was also quattro only but i think it's replaced the multitronice on FWD models.

They made quite a few FWD A7 3.0 Tdi 204ps A7's. Can't remember if they were multitronic or S-Tronic.

Not a patch on the quattro version though, but they did have cheap tax.

R.O.R wrote: »
    They made quite a few FWD A7 3.0 Tdi 204ps A7's. Can't remember if they were multitronic or S-Tronic.

Not a patch on the quattro version though, but they did have cheap tax.

I don't beleive i've ever seen a FWD A7, i'm disappointed now #worstdayever :D

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭waxon-waxoff

On the subject of A5 auto's, many of the earlier cars are the 2.7 tdi. Is the 2.0 a better all round option? The 2.7 has only about 20 bhp more but im guessing its smoother with the 6 cylinders.

On the subject of A5 auto's, many of the earlier cars are the 2.7 tdi. Is the 2.0 a better all round option? The 2.7 has only about 20 bhp more but im guessing its smoother with the 6 cylinders.

I had the older version the 2.5 in a B6 A4 and the difference between that and a 1.9 or 2.0 was very noticeable - hard to justify on tax though and not as frugal. The 6 cylinder TDI engines are great but when you push them on they are anything but economical .

I'll be looking at an a5, 2l diesel auto. 2wd

From what year did they get the dsg box ?

• Advertisement

OSI wrote: »
    Don't think FWD A5s ever got the DSG in that model.

Correct.

2.0Tdi & 3.0Tdi quattro's have the S-Tronic box now. FWD (2.0 & 3.0) have the Multitronic.

I've driven a 3.0Tdi FWD Multitronic a couple of times and it's actually pretty good - on the motorway. Not built for the twisty stuff as it's too nose heavy. Didn't feel as bad as the 2.0Tdi for just dumping all the power down in one go (eventually) from a standstill.

Advertisement