Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steam machine/Alienware Alpha alternative

Options
  • 24-07-2016 3:44pm

I was deliberating whether to get an Alienware Alpha over in the PC Gaming forum. Sent here by those kindly chaps. I am fully aware that the Alienware has a rather middle of the range laptop graphics card but it was all about the size and look of it. Never built a pc before but I do know my way around them-ish. I've upgraded HDs to SSDs, increased RAM etc. The basic sh!te.

Just want something to replace my 360 and let me use Steam Big Picture on the living room telly. I already have two 360 controllers so am sorted in that area at least. I always intended to use Windows rather than SteamOS for game compatibility reasons. Would like a SSD for quicker load times but I've looked and anything over 1TB is silly money in my opinion. Oh and given it would be in the living room it'd have to be quiet. Not like the 360.

1. What is your budget?
    [€750]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming for under the telly specifically Steam. Not pushed about playing the very latest stuff. Mainly the Steam games I get from Humble Bundle offers so basically up to xbox 360 level]

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [Nope I've never had anything but laptops due to lack of space. Oh I forgot I have a 2TB 2.5" drive in the 360 that will be going spare when I get rid.]

5. Do you need a monitor? [No. Want to put the machine under the telly so hope to use that (Sony Bravia KDL37EX403 HDTV]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [I'd need a wireless card definitely for online fun. I have a keyboard and mouse but I don't want them cluttering up the living room. I envisage just the machine under the telly outputted to the tv and me sitting on the sofa with a 360 controller!!]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [No]

8. How can you pay? [Debit Card, PayPal, Bank Transfer, brown envelopes of cash.]

9. When are you purchasing? [Once I get my head straight as I've never done this before.]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [I'm in Limerick but I don't want help as a) I'm anti-social and b) doing it yourself is the whole point I feel.]

Thanks for any help! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Can you give a rough estimate of the space you have and we'll be better able to give you a case to use?

For parts:
    i5 6400 €170
    H150 board €60
    250gb SSD €75
    1tb HDD €50
    Case €70
    8gb DDR4 €40
    500w PSU €60
    RX 480 €250
    Total €775

Individual parts will bring you fairly close to the budget. Depending on if it's mATX or mITX the case and board may be more expensive.

This'll play everything maxed at 1080p

I left out Windows, did you want it in the budget yeah? I'll do a little moving of parts when we know the space constraints to fit it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

You can view completed builds here using the small NODE 202 PC case.

https://pcpartpicker.com/builds/by_part/GsZ2FT

I'd recommend a CPU cooler fan due to many people suggesting the intel fan that comes with their processors in the NODE isn't as quiet as it should be. Also a non stock CPU fan will keep the case a little bit cooler.

Here is one example. Basically a low profile cooler. These will fit perfectly into a case like the NODE.

CRYORIG C7 40.5 CFM CPU Cooler - This one might be hard to find but just to give you an idea of what you should look for. They are about €30-40.

657e3311abd01fcb601a9f4b5bfd0de8.1600.jpg

Can you give a rough estimate of the space you have and we'll be better able to give you a case to use?

For parts:
    i5 6400 €170
    H150 board €60
    250gb SSD €75
    1tb HDD €50
    Case €70
    8gb DDR4 €40
    500w PSU €60
    RX 480 €250
    Total €775

Individual parts will bring you fairly close to the budget. Depending on if it's mATX or mITX the case and board may be more expensive.

This'll play everything maxed at 1080p

I left out Windows, did you want it in the budget yeah? I'll do a little moving of parts when we know the space constraints to fit it in.

I've attached a pic of my rather dingy set up. You can see the 360 on the left. Out of view to the left of the 360 is this which takes up a good bit of space. To the right is an old Wii I never really use (but of course the minute I get rid someone will be looking for it.)

So I was, maybe naively, hoping to get something that would merely use the 360s space and I could swap it out for?

I saw your list and I forgot to include in my original post the 2TB 2.5" drive that I have in the 360.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Plenty of room for a PC there once the power brick is taken out of it.

I've no PC at the minute and I'm not looking at cases on my phone so I'll post a few tomorrow or Tuesday if I can, someone else will hopefully post more suggestions in the mean time. You do have the Node 202 listed above as an option.

If you can keep that 2tb Drive for the PC that frees up room for Windows in the build list but we can work something regardless

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Consider the EVGA Hadron, Glynf is doing a build in one at the moment so his thread might be of help

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057620018

You wont have to go cutting up the case and PSU like he has, he must just be a stickler fro having everything neat, tidy and hidden!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

The NODE can stand vertical as well. It comes with a stand. It's about the same size as the 360. Maybe a fraction bigger.

Here is a review of the NODE. You also see the reviewer putting a build together in the case.

Yes that Node 202 seems great. According to the YouTube vid they sell them with a PSU as well so that simplifies things. Also it's smaller/cheaper than the Hadron.
    For parts:
    i5 6400
    250gb SSD
    Case & PSU
    8gb DDR4
    RX 480
    1tb HDD €50 (I already have a 2TB in the 360).
    H150 board
    I can't find anything for a H150 board. I'm thinking it's a B150 motherboard? If so then there are so many I'm not sure which is compatible!

Thanks anyway for all your time guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,531 ✭✭✭savemejebus

If you don't mind a case that is a bit bigger than the node, you could do worse than checking out the silverstone grandia cases. They are pretty nice for HTPC builds and not too expensive either. https://www.amazon.co.uk/SilverStone-SST-GD09-Grandia-HTPC-black/dp/B00KPP8ASO/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1469457057&sr=1-1&keywords=silverstone+grandia

Advertisement