Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice

Options
  • 24-07-2016 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Could any of ye lads give me some advice? I play in corner forward and have a decent touch and can score when I have the ball but I am seriously slow and train a lot to try and improve this ( sprints weights drills etc) but nothing makes any improvement.
    Because of NY lack of speed winning the ball is hard enough and because if this I tend to get taken off a lot....any advice on how I can improve and play better?
    I practice every day and train 2 times a week
    Sound

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Find a steep hill and sprint up it.

Take a minute's rest at the top and walk back down.

Repeat a few times regularly.

Record your times and improve on them over time.

You will become both quicker and your legs will explode.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Sw123

Sound lad

• Registered Users Posts: 7,971 ✭✭✭threeball

Sw123 wrote: »
    Could any of ye lads give me some advice? I play in corner forward and have a decent touch and can score when I have the ball but I am seriously slow and train a lot to try and improve this ( sprints weights drills etc) but nothing makes any improvement.
    Because of NY lack of speed winning the ball is hard enough and because if this I tend to get taken off a lot....any advice on how I can improve and play better?
    I practice every day and train 2 times a week
    Sound

Plyometrics (box jumps etc.). Youll add a few % but in reality if you re slow you'll always be slow. It's genetics. Work on things you can control like accuracy, strength on the ball, teamwork. Plus look at changing position, no one says you have to play corner forward. I played there for years but was twice the footballer when I switched to wing back. I could use my brain to make up for the speed I didn't have.

I used to play corner back and was decent got player of the year for my age but then we got new coaches who refuse to play me anywhere else except in corner foward

• Registered Users Posts: 7,971 ✭✭✭threeball

Sw123 wrote: »
    I used to play corner back and was decent got player of the year for my age but then we got new coaches who refuse to play me anywhere else except in corner foward

Well work with them while they're there. They'll be gone in two years. Just work on the other aspects of your game as mentioned above. Don't go too heavy on the weights. Try to incorporate Plyometrics in those too.

• Advertisement

Alright thanks lad

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Why don't you go to an athletics coach to see if there's anything that can be done to improve the mechanics of how you run?

Good idea I'll try find one near me thanks

Advertisement