Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

I bought a clocked car; advice required

Options
  • 24-07-2016 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

Almost 2 years ago i went to a long established and well known SIMI car dealership. i bought a car that had been imported from the UK by a private individual that traded it in to the car dealership.

Through this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057335812 i realised that i could check my cars Uk mileage. In march 2012 the car had more miles than when i bought it in the autumn of 2014.

So i am planning on assembling my evidence and sending a letter to the car dealership to begin the complaint process. Would you agree with this course of action?

According to consumerhelp.ie my window to make a complaint will close on the 2nd anniversary of the car purchase.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

I had this happen to me a few years back. I found out the book price of the car for the different mileages. I then told the garage to give me e3000 and I wouldnt take a consumer case against them. They refused.

I sent the NCA details of the clocked car and evidence of other UK cars that were clocked. They raided the garage and took lots of evidence. The owner was fined 3K in court and received lots of negative press coverage.

Then I took a seperate small claims case for the maximum of 2K. He didnt contest.

The whole thing cost him 5K and ruined his business. He should have taken by 3K offer!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

That's not really the same situation though is it? From my reading of the OP there is no suggestion that the garage the car was bought from are responsible for clocking it.

It is also worth noting that at the time the OP bought the car the MOT checker was not as easy to access as it is now. You needed a reference number from an old MOT cert IIRC, which was hardly likely to be available with a clocked car.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Contact dealer and see what they have to say for themselves. Don't assume they are the guilty party yet.
    The car could have been clocked by someone in UK or by the person importing it to Ireland and trading it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

biko wrote: »
    Contact dealer and see what they have to say for themselves. Don't assume they are the guilty party yet.
    The car could have been clocked by someone in UK or by the person importing it to Ireland and trading it in.

I would say it is highly, highly unlikely that the garage clocked the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,577 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Is there any way a mechanic could determine if a car was clocked?

• Advertisement

Generally no. Hence it used to be so common among all kinds of dealers.
    I had a list somewhere with all convicted dealers nationwide. Will see if I can find it again.

A friend of mine traded his old car in for a new one.
    Something was amiss with the new car and he left it back to be checked out a week later. He was given his old car for the period. The mileage was down from 93 k to 61k when he drove it home.

Neither of us would shop there again.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,147 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Is there any way a mechanic could determine if a car was clocked?

Buyer should be doing proper background checks on the likes of service history, old NCT/MOT certs, history reports, etc. Cars hide miles a lot better these days so it's harder to tell by a physical inspection alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

biko wrote: »
    I would say it is highly, highly unlikely that the garage clocked the car.

I would agree that is very unlikely that dealer which OP bought car from is responsible for clocking the car themselves.

But are there no laws against selling clocked car by a dealer ? (when it was clocked beforehand by someone else)?

I would think that someone who trades cars for living and therefore is a professional is that field, should not be able to sell a clocked and just say - "sorry, we didn't know"...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,280 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

CiniO wrote: »
    I would agree that is very unlikely that dealer which OP bought car from is responsible for clocking the car themselves.

But are there no laws against selling clocked car by a dealer ? (when it was clocked beforehand by someone else)?

I would think that someone who trades cars for living and therefore is a professional is that field, should not be able to sell a clocked and just say - "sorry, we didn't know"...

That is no longer an excuse for a dealer.
    Regardless of who clocked the OP's car, If the dealer sold it clocked, it's his baby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

A friend of mine traded his old car in for a new one.
    Something was amiss with the new car and he left it back to be checked out a week later. He was given his old car for the period. The mileage was down from 93 k to 61k when he drove it home.

Neither of us would shop there again.

Why no name and shame disclosure
    ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

?

Innocent until proven guilty..

?

It wouldn't be my place to do so.
    It would surely be up to the lad who traded the car in.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

mickdw wrote: »
    That is no longer an excuse for a dealer.
    Regardless of who clocked the OP's car, If the dealer sold it clocked, it's his baby.

The law was different 2 years ago though,

• Registered Users Posts: 23,280 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

colm_mcm wrote: »

I believe the new laws are in since the first quarter of 2014 so the dealer may well be completely on the hook.

Just one thing OP, could there be a mistake in that UK record in miles and Ireland in kms?

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Mintoe

colm_mcm wrote: »

the specific law on the practice of clocking changed but the main law that covers such a case is The Sale of Goods and Supply of Services act which hasn't changed in anyway that means this consumer has no right of recourse.

the op should def give the dealer the opportunity to rectify this if the car has definitely been "Clocked". I'd always tell consumers to be calm and not to go in all guns blazing as a calm complainant is more likely to be treated courteously when they are courteous themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

How are you checking your UK car mileage?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Lord Nikon wrote: »
    How are you checking your UK car mileage?
    https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history
    Stick the UK reg in on this site, this will give the MOT history which will have the mileage from each test.
    Came in handy for me last week when I was looking a Yellow reg passat last week, the car was clocked

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭corks finest

I had this happen to me a few years back. I found out the book price of the car for the different mileages. I then told the garage to give me e3000 and I wouldnt take a consumer case against them. They refused.

I sent the NCA details of the clocked car and evidence of other UK cars that were clocked. They raided the garage and took lots of evidence. The owner was fined 3K in court and received lots of negative press coverage.

Then I took a seperate small claims case for the maximum of 2K. He didnt contest.

The whole thing cost him 5K and ruined his business. He should have taken by 3K offer!
    Was he named and shamed?still operating?

• Advertisement
Advertisement