Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alienware Alpha

Options
  • 24-07-2016 10:44am

I'm trying to decide whether to purchase one of these. I'm talking about the second gen of them that comes with SteamOS installed. However I plan to install Windows in order to access more games.

I know it's underspecced but I don't have the room for a regular PC and this would fit under the telly quite nicely. Was hoping to get rid of my 360 in favour of the Alpha.

What's really bothering me is the reviews talking about the slow load times.I looked at the prices for a 2tb SSD and was shocked.

Just wondering if anyone has an Alpha and their thoughts on whether it was a worthwhile purchase?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I'm trying to decide whether to purchase one of these. I'm talking about the second gen of them that comes with SteamOS installed. However I plan to install Windows in order to access more games.

I know it's underspecced but I don't have the room for a regular PC and this would fit under the telly quite nicely. Was hoping to get rid of my 360 in favour of the Alpha.

What's really bothering me is the reviews talking about the slow load times.I looked at the prices for a 2tb SSD and was shocked.

Just wondering if anyone has an Alpha and their thoughts on whether it was a worthwhile purchase?
    What about an Xbox One sized PC that can fit a desktop sized graphics card. A PC case like the NODE 202 would do the trick.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00ZANF3GI/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

A mini ITX case as above would be better imo

Ooooh never thought of that!! I've never built my own pc before...I wonder would it throw up more problems like getting compatible controllers etc. Think the Alpha supports 360 controllers out of the box but really it isn't probably that big a hurdle to surmount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Ooooh never thought of that!! I've never built my own pc before...I wonder would it throw up more problems like getting compatible controllers etc. Think the Alpha supports 360 controllers out of the box but really it isn't probably that big a hurdle to surmount.

PCs support 360/Xbone controllers. There's a PC building and upgrading forum where you'll get loads of help and tips.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,384 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

the 360/Xbone controller is the defacto choice for most PC Gamers as it is just plug and play with Windows and is a great controller to boot

as MarAnthony said these guys will help

• Advertisement
Advertisement