Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opinions on Dayton tyres?

Options
  • 24-07-2016 8:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭

Tyre went on the wife's fiesta and they are a bloody 195 45 16. Anyway tyreland were ordering me an Avon for 84 quid but somehow it managed to not arrive. Got onto first fit or whatever they're called and they had a dayton at 80 quid. They're a Bridgestone company. Any thoughts ? Or wait for the Avon?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Id be inclined to try and match what's on the same axle if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

My thoughts too. But the other 3 are all different brands.....only got the car couple of months ago. And the other 3 are all Chinese. So slowly upgrading as I can't afford two new ones.

Maybe it would be worth seeing if you could fit a similar but different size to two tyres now, rather than continuing with an oddball expensive size.

Is this a fiesta Steel? As in the 02-09ish type?

colm_mcm wrote:
    Is this a fiesta Steel? As in the 02-09ish type?

Yep

• Advertisement

Any thoughts on what other size I can put on? I did the same with my estate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭padyjoe

Unless you change the wheel for smaller size, let's say 15 or 14, there's no way to get tyres for a reasonable price. That 16" is rare enough, I suppose going to 185's or less won't make it more common.

Ps.: I don't want to be rude but if you can't afford 2 new tyres then get secondhand ones or leave the car parked up. If you end up in accident due to bad tyres, gonna cost you much more than a price of two.

I can't get my head around 'this irish tradition' that some cars have 3 or 4 different brand and thread pattern tyres all around.

padyjoe wrote: »
    Unless you change the wheel for smaller size, let's say 15 or 14, there's no way to get tyres for a reasonable price. That 16" is rare enough, I suppose going to 185's or less won't make it more common.

Ps.: I don't want to be rude but if you can't afford 2 new tyres then get secondhand ones or leave the car parked up. If you end up in accident due to bad tyres, gonna cost you much more than a price of two.

I can't get my head around 'this irish tradition' that some cars have 3 or 4 different brand and thread pattern tyres all around.

I didn't put into that state. And three other tyres are perfect......albeit Chinese.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭padyjoe

Ok! If you're on the budget, I don't know how soon the new tyre needed but if you went online, you could get plenty of choice in your size around the 50-60 mark. Plus a tenner for fitting, you could save at least 10 euro. If you mind, you should pick one out of 3 others and match it with new one as mentioned before.
    Had a look, 185/50 R16 even more odd than 195/45, so less choice, more expensive.
    Or get something in the 'pre-owned' section for 35-40 quid fitted.
    All in all I don't see any point in forking more money out for a well known brand tyre as it'll be the 4th different type on the car and you're getting 1 piece. If you were buying 2 it'd make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭DakarVert

I had Daytons on my last car for 2 years.... Never had any issues. (Not ONCE did I have a brake or traction issue)

Anyway 195/45R16 is an odd enough size, Your better off to replace in pairs!

I'v had a Fiesta with 195/55R16, Drove fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭amdaley28

My partner has Daytons on her Honda & never had any problems with them.
    Wouldn't buy second hand or part used tyres unless you are really stuck as tyres are one of the most important parts of a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,629 ✭✭✭corks finest

peteb2 wrote: »

I didn't put into that state. And three other tyres are perfect......albeit Chinese.
    Ah so!

Ah so!

Ah so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Furtzy2

Got Kumho Ecsta in that size for our fiesta and they've transformed the handling. I agree they are an awkward size that no-one stocks

Advertisement