Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of upgrading my GPU, Would love some advice

Options
  • 24-07-2016 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,
    I posted in this forum roughly 3 years ago now asking for help in building my own pc and got some great advice which helped me build this and have it running smoothly for the last 3 years.
    So my build is running 1440p, Nvidia Palit Gtx 770 on an asrock extreme 6 + 3570k + 16gb of ram.
    I am now at the point where I am thinking whether it is time to upgrade my gpu to a 1080 or something similar as I am running most new release games on medium now.
    I also have an eye on using VR after Christmas and hence would love some guidance on what would be the best gpu to have for that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

GTX1060 or RX480s would be much value for money than a 1080 for 1440p tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭AH92

GTX1060 or RX480s would be much value for money than a 1080 for 1440p tbh.
    Was having a peek there and seems that you are on the ball about the value for money as the difference between the 480 and a 1080 is not worth several hundreds of euro so thanks for the heads up, I have switched my attention to a Evga 980ti 6gb ACX 2.0 Superclocked for around 400 euros new. Would that be a good option?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yes it's solid enough, the GTX1070 can be had for a bit more and it will hold value better in the longer run, uses less power, has more vram and will perform better further into the future with better driver support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

If you're running 1440p 60Hz and will be for the foreseeable future the 980ti or 1070. If you want high refresh 1440p then you really need the 1080. That said if it's going to be a while before you upgrade I'd go the 980ti route then upgrade to a 1080ti when it eventually hits. I'd usually agree with Terror on the newer cards holding value but there are some great deals to be had on the 980ti at the mo and there is gouging going on with the 1070 because of lack of stock so I actually think the 980ti (bought new now) will hold it's value better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Short and to the point. 1070 all the way.

• Advertisement

Some great responses thanks a million, I have been looking more into the value for money option and would you guys think an AMD 390 MSI for 290 euro would be good value? 8gb vram is a major bonus as well.

AH92 wrote: »
    Some great responses thanks a million, I have been looking more into the value for money option and would you guys think an AMD 390 MSI for 290 euro would be good value? 8gb vram is a major bonus as well.

Cheaper 1060s, Rx480 OC and some of the previous lineup from nVidia all out perform it, most can be had cheaper and it must be borne in mind that the 390 was essentially a rebadged 290 so it's pretty old tech at this stage. That said the older radeon cards may get a boost from DX12.

Personally I'd go with a 8Gb Rx480 if you're set on 8Gb. Just checked the Nitro there - it'll be around €300 + deliver once you take into account Irish VAT.

An alternative if you don't mind a loud card is pick up a cheaper R9 290 I sold mine for €100, I've seen others go sub €150. It is only a 4GB card though.

Shadow just posted this - pretty good example of what compromises (very few!) need to be made on the mid range.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

LOL @ playing Overwatch in 21:9

Thanks for all the advice guys but I decided to go ahead for a used r9 390 for 170 euro so happy enough with that hopefully should make my 1440p gaming more sweeter :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Bonus coming next week, highly considering upgrading now.

XFX R9 Fury X: €429
    Palit GTX 1070 Jetstream: €449
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti Hybrid: €479

Really considering the Fury X due to Freesync & the cool & quiet operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Only thing would be both the 980ti and fury x would be at the end of what drivers can improve but the 1070 is brand new

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Id go with the 1070 gtx if it was my choice and you dont have a freesync monitor already.

Advertisement