Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows installation

Options
  • 23-07-2016 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

My beloved Bongo was stolen and burnt out last October so I'm in the market for a new camper. I've looked at a few ford transits but many of them are black boxes. Is there someone in the Dublin area who will install windows if I go down that route?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

following...

There are a number of facebook campervan groups, and in one of them, someone said recently that installing his OWN windows was easy enough (caravan windows, and I guess metal-cutting equipment required)
    But they also said that many places can offer this service: unfortunately I now can't find that thread to get details. :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 27 sovietpop

Thanks Kate. I am bit of a 'have a go' hero but I don't think I'm brave (or precise) enough to cut into the side of a van. :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

sovietpop wrote: »
    Thanks Kate. I am bit of a 'have a go' hero but I don't think I'm brave (or precise) enough to cut into the side of a van. :-)

Its very easy with a jigsaw just take it slowly and you can't go far wrong. Its only rubber fit windows require big accuracy.

If you're talking glass then the bonded ones have a lot of leeway and the edge is trimmed internally with edge trim too so noone sees the wobbles.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Black-Car-Edge-Trim-Seal-Interior-Exterior-PVC-Rubber-Per-Meter-/131061093518?hash=item1e83d9948e:g:R7QAAOxyNo9SqKDA

With cassette windows like seitz the casette covers all of the edges so again no need to be super accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

sovietpop wrote: »

+1 on the bonded windows, they are very hard to get wrong. Have a look at this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73cnYMqScyU

Before you start cut out a cardboard template first and match it up to your window. Stick this to the side of the van and mark out where you need to cut first. As a previous poster said, the window trim will hide a lot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

+1 on the bonded windows, they are very hard to get wrong. Have a look at this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73cnYMqScyU

He wouldn't get a job in autoglass with that bead :D it supposed to be a triangular bead to ensure even contact the whole way around.

The fitting kits come with the correct nozzle and primer. I found if the glass is new you absolutely need the proper glass frit primer or it wont stick.

• Advertisement
Advertisement