Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Batman - The Killing Joke (animated movie)

Options
  • 23-07-2016 9:54pm

Anyone seen it yet?

Thought it was great. Hamill amazing again as the joker!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Waiting for the cinema.

Glad to see a good review. Think I've only seen one news article headline which seemed a bit negative. Didn't go into the article though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

From what I've heard, I think it's a bit mental. The
    extra scenes at the start
    seem like a bafflingly crazy idea to me...

Yeah just to add - I've never read the comic so could see why people are angry after reading reviews in the last hour.

Thinking about it more - The scene everyone is giving out about was kind of a stupid idea and not needed. I just presumed it was in the comic.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,083 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

A few years since I read it the extra stuff was not needed really Hamill was excellent Conroy is the definitive Batman as far as animation is concerned. Story is still as frustrating as ever. It looked amazing on screen though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Enjoyed it mostly. No idea of the comics but dare I say that
    I hated that frickin ending

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Taltos wrote: »
    Enjoyed it mostly. No idea of the comics but dare I say that
    I hated that frickin ending

I always
    hated the ending of the comic
    . At first, I felt it was really edgy and cool but, when I thought about it, it bugged me.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Yup. Had I collected the comics I think I would have felt betrayed if that makes sense. A bit like a cheapened version of
    The Twilight Zone
    , all it was missing was that music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

I thought it was ok. I didn't care for Azzarello's original content added to the adaptation.

The new element added to Bruce and Barbara's relationship was also useless as it was irrelevant to the story from that point on. It literally lifted panel for panel the same story from the page and added no new edge to Bruce's hunt for the Joker so yeah, I've no idea what Azzarello was thinking there who previously wrote some very strong stuff. If anything it just served to make the last scene even more ****ing ludicrous.

That being said, I found the "sexist" furore over such a non entity of a moment absolutely ludicrous.

Positives being that the feature handled the actual adaptation of the novel very well and Hamill, well, what can one say at this point? Still top of his game at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,296 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Kevin Conroy did a bit of a Q & A on Batman promoting this a fun and interesting read on his view of Batmana and on others that have played him.

ADVICE ON BEING BATMAN BY KEVIN CONROY
    Batman is one of the great roles in our popular culture. Grief, deception, that undertow of madness - it's Hamlet, but in a cape and with greater conviction.

Several actors have played the role, but Kevin Conroy has been Batman for 24 years. According to my crude IMDb reckoning, he's played the character 258 times.* For many, myself included, Conroy is Batman. Whenever I read an issue of Batman, I hear his voice.

More actors will assume the role – currently, Ben Affleck and Troy Baker have taken on the character in other high-profile productions – but what can they learn from the man who has been Batman for nearly a quarter of a century?

The rest in the link.

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2016/08/10/advice-on-being-batman-by-kevin-conroy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Was REALLY gutted by this. When I heard they were making it and that Mark Hamil and Kevin Conroy were doing the voices as opposed to more celebrity voices they use for the other comic adaptations, I couldn't wait! The PERFECT team to do this story and the perfect swansong for both actors in the roles they defined. For me Kevin Conroy IS the voice of Batman ad Mark Hamil WAS The Joker until Ledger. But oh GOD I hated the first 1/2. What the hell? Completely gutted Batman and Batgirl.
    I always read their relationship as a bit of puppy love on Batgirl's part. One she grew out of quite quickly. NEVER thought there was anything more. Especially on Batman's behalf. It was never convincing and reduced Barbara Gordon to a stereotypical Superchick as opposed to the kick-ass character she can be and is in TAS
    I thought it was a total misunderstanding of the characters and a completely pointless addition in order to gather that older rating. All it was missing was "I'm the Goddamn BATMAN!!!!!"

Avoid if you love the comic

• Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Or just stick it on and skip to about 29/30 min in :D

Advertisement