Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Need automatic suv advice

Options
  • 23-07-2016 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

long story short i need an automatic suv due to back/leg problems.
    number 1 priority is comfort and back support/head room
    also important is reliability and running costs, i do about 500k a week on country roads and cash flow is poor for running costs!

basically ive never driven or sat in an suv or an automatic so very bamboozled.

from first look the choice is very limited and i am likely to go to uk to source so i have full range of options. i have 15k roughly to play with.
    do i need to just make list and sit in every possible option in irish forecourts to judge comfort and then buy from uk when i find what suits my arse, or is there 1 make i should just go for.

lexus/landrovers seem most comfortable and spacious from pics but am worried that i will then be buying an older model and running costs are higher.

also, dont have massive space needs other than comfort so dont need a massive thing altogether, so mid sized with amazing seats would be ideal.

all advice appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,383 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Volvo XC90 for comfort.

VW Tiguan might fit the bill if you want to keep tax and fuel costs lower again.

If you don't need jeepyness, an mpv might be a more economical option.

For perspective, what have you been driving till now?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭readysetgo

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Volvo XC90 for comfort.

VW Tiguan might fit the bill if you want to keep tax and fuel costs lower again.

If you don't need jeepyness, an mpv might be a more economical option.

For perspective, what have you been driving till now?

have a volvo s40 but need the seat much higher, basically hips higher than knee. and struggle getting in and out at the mo. and no clutch.

cheers, will visit a volvo dealer so, xc90 looks massive, is xc60 much different?

Mercedes B Class?

Not a massive car, but neither is an S40 inside

Ditto A Class, but might be a step to far for you,

also, just a bit wary of automatics as unknown but are there more reliable automatic suvs? prob a stupid question as nearly all automatics in america but is there any issues generally?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭flutered

you may find a jeep too high, i have as much trouble getting out of a jeep as i do from a standard car

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

This site might help ..lets you compare seat heights for example

http://www.rica.org.uk/carfilter

If you're going for something like a Range Rover Sport (would fit the bill I suppose) xc90, x5 etc, you need to be ready for expensive maintanaince either way. Things like tyres, suspension bits etc are much more expensive, plus you've got all the 4wd stuff to maintain too.
    By the sounds of it, you don't need any off road ability.
    The auto box would be the least of your worries.

Mercedes B Class?

Not a massive car, but neither is an S40 inside

Ditto A Class, but might be a step to far for you,

was looking at the m class and gl class cos theyre a bit higher up but like the lexus/landrovers i'd be looking at an 07/08 car and would that be too old. would need to get 5 years hassle free!

You need to realign your expectations/priorities/hopes

If you're going for something like a Range Rover Sport (would fit the bill I suppose) xc90, x5 etc, you need to be ready for expensive maintanaince either way. Things like tyres, suspension bits etc are much more expensive, plus you've got all the 4wd stuff to maintain too.
    By the sounds of it, you don't need any off road ability.
    The auto box would be the least of your worries.

thanks, yeah thats what i'm worried about, volvo parts have killed me in the past!! and no need at all for off road!
    mid-size seems to be for me.
    mazda cx5 seem plentiful but never sat in one. there seems to be loads and loads of peugeout 2008/3008s which makes me wary!!
    yetis have great reviews but look absolutely cat(imo, no offence yeti-drivers)
    am tempted to fly to cargiant, sit in every type they have and then source similar within budget. is there any forecourt in ireland that would stock a very wide tange?

• Advertisement

You need to realign your expectations/priorities/hopes
    cheers,
    expectations are to drive/sit pain free and get in and out of car comfortably for a 15k cost car. and not get shafted with running costs/unreliability.
    and have something more stylish than a yeti!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,255 ✭✭✭✭fits

An Xc 60 would fit the bill for you I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

From a pure seating position point of view, you might also want to look at vans.
    most of them have a very upright seating postion.
    Find an automatic and get an orthopaedic seat put in ...might be an option

ok so, looking at my budget and at the uk market there is a broad very rough choice as follows done out by year and type.
    any particular ones to avoid, or anything stand out as being the best balance between comfortable seats and running cost/reliability.

09 Bmw x3
    12 honda crv
    12 hyundai ix35 or sante fe
    13 jeep compass
    10 jeep grand cherokee
    11 sportage or sorento
    10 freelander
    09 lexus rx400h
    12 mazda cx 5
    09 merc m class
    11 outlander/shogun/L200
    12 quashquai
    10 xtrail
    15 peugeout 2008/3008
    12 subaru xv/forester
    11 rav4
    11 vw tiguan
    10 xc90/xc60

you could knock a year off roughly for a higher spec version of any of them.

Peugeot 3008/2008 as the gearbox is rotten
    L200 won't have the right driving position.
    RAV4 auto would only be petrol with your budget, and they're an animal on fuel. (Also VRT and tax) Seats not great either.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Staph

I have a petrol auto Subaru Forrester - it's reliable, although a little thirsty. Wouldn't touch a diesel version.

Peugeot 3008/2008 as the gearbox is rotten
    L200 won't have the right driving position.
    RAV4 auto would only be petrol with your budget, and they're an animal on fuel. (Also VRT and tax) Seats not great either.

nice one, i've ruled out the much bigger ones, and your tips, and
    merc/lexus/bmw/landrover i'm worried about servicing costs so that leaves the following less luxurious options...(unless someone can tell me i'm wrong on cost assumptions?!)

so that leaves...
    12 honda crv
    12 hyundai ix35
    13 jeep compass
    11 sportage
    12 mazda cx 5
    12 quashquai
    12 subaru xv
    11 vw tiguan
    10 xc60

is it much of a muchness?

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Staph

If you're going for a diesel, rule the Subaru out. They make great robust petrol engines, which cannot be said for their diesels.

Staph wrote: »
    If you're going for a diesel, rule the Subaru out. They make great robust petrol engines, which cannot be said for their diesels.

cheers, not really bothered about diesel or petrolonce mpg is reasonable. i suppose emissions under 170 for vrt and motortax. i'll have to do a bit more research on emissions...

right so, based on adding in emissions and buying in uk i'm looking at

12 mazda cx 5
    12 quashquai
    11 vw tiguan
    or Kuga

or buy in ireland but prices seem inflated for automatic

• Advertisement

of those - the tiguan. which is what I would have gone for from the last list.

seat altea, toledo or golf plus might do too but aren't jeepy. driving position would probably suit

of those - the tiguan. which is what I would have gone for from the last list.

seat altea, toledo or golf plus might do too but aren't jeepy. driving position would probably suit

nice one, never been in one, will go find one for sale locally to sit in and get the ball rolling

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Maybe a Ford C MAX. Drive a '09 and I find the seats very comfortable. The new model came out in '11 and you should easily get a 12/131 in a decent spec for 15K.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

TRS30 wrote: »
    Maybe a Ford C MAX. Drive a '09 and I find the seats very comfortable. The new model came out in '11 and you should easily get a 12/131 in a decent spec for 15K.

Good suggesting and I'll ad in an S-max , comfy , sporty ,and high seat , cheap to run and reliable

Bigus wrote: »
    Good suggesting and I'll ad in an S-max , comfy , sporty ,and high seat , cheap to run and reliable

cheers, will look at that.

made the mistake of sitting into a lexus 450rxh that icant afford, the seats were unreal, serious comfort and flexible settings. have a few forecourts to hit this afternoon and then get a spreadsheet out to go through figures

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭DanielGibbons

Would you have any interest in a Kia Sportage? I know of one local that might be for sale soon.
    It's 2008, which is older than what you were looking at, but it'll be going at less than half your budget.

PM if you'd like me to pass on contact details!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,122 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

As long as the OP is aware that the diesel auto Sportage of that vintage costs €1200 to tax if it's on the new co2 motor tax system.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭DanielGibbons

bazz26 wrote: »
    As long as the OP is aware that the diesel auto Sportage of that vintage costs €1200 to tax if it's on the new co2 motor tax system.

I had a look at the tax disc earlier this evening, it's €710 because it's still on the CC system.

Not everyone's cup of tea!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,122 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I had a look at the tax disc earlier this evening, it's €710 because it's still on the CC system.

Not everyone's cup of tea!

Still a good bit cheaper than €1200 for the same car on the newer tax system though.

• Advertisement

pretty much had my choice decided and ready to go next week, had settled on high spec mazda cx5 sport, low emissions swung it with import.

anyway, theres been a change of plan due to an unexpected increase in baby seats needed for next year!! i can only presume i'm gonna have to suck it up and get a soccer mom car as we'll need a 7 seater!
    do i have any option for 7 seater suv that is somewhat stylish yet economical?!(he pleads)(cant afford new xc90 obviously and budget is even tighter now!)

am i realistically looking at an smac or kia carens or something? i presume theres threads out there with other males pleading that it exists!!

Advertisement