Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intel Wifi Chip Problems

Options
  • 23-07-2016 4:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Long story cut short...I bought a great laptop months ago, had a bunch of problems especially with wifi. After all the usual diagnostics, I returned it to the shop, replaced, same issues. Called manufacturer, agent knew I had an Intel wifi chip in laptop, guessed the variant, told me about tons of problems with current Intel 31xx and 72xx wifi chips across the industry. He recommended I return it and choose a new laptop without Intel wifi (e.g. Qualcomm Atheros, Broadcom etc.).

Does anyone else know anything about this?

I'm shopping for a new laptop now and cutting out all the ones with the Intel wifi chips really cuts out a lot of options. I have Googled "wifi problems xx model" and sure enough the same issues are prevalent with random spot-checks on models I like. But how prevalent? I'm only aware of it being combined with Windows 10 as problematic. Also, do you have a laptop with one of these chips without problems?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

Well it's something to consider, and thanks for searching.

I've changed RAM/hard drive so far, I'm guessing wi-fi chip is just as easy? And while you're poking around, don't break anything?

It is a little annoying when you pay full whack and things don't work from the start.

As for the Intel chip problem, I'm so tired of searching by wi-fi chip I might even take the risk and if it's not working, ask the manufacturer to replace the wi-fi chip...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,213 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Easy enough to change the card if case permits access to it, some may require more extensive disassembly than removing a panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

F*ck that, yes you can change the WiFi card but why should you?

The device is not of merchantable quality, if the manufacturer has admitted this and if they cannot repair the issue (and a replacement will not fix it) then legally speaking you are entitled to a refund!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

Well, to add a little more detail...

With the replacement laptop with the same faults (wifi disconnection, audio breakages and something else) I eventually did get a full refund. That was a couple of months ago, and a HP laptop.

I hung on to a borrowed laptop since then and only got around to a fresh purchase, an Asus one. Wifi chip is Qualcomm Atheros, works great. Instead it keeps shutting down abruptly, the touchpad has never worked and screen has an epileptic fit sometimes. I've contacted the shop organising a refund (read up on all the consumer rights laws in the UK, ready to fire) and I'll demand a refund.

So I'm shopping for a new one. I'm not entirely convinced that every single current Intel wifi chip has the issues the HP guy spoke about. Many, yes, even check out the official Intel community forums. But I'm beginning to think instead choose a retailer with a good reputation for consumer services, then choose whatever the hell I want. Oh, and clearly my luck with choosing functioning laptops is currently terrible. Sigh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 dolanbye

Just buy a USB one of these. Its so small you wouldn't even notice it.

amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-WN725N-150Mbps-Wireless-N-Adapter/dp/B008IFXQFU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1469486446&sr=8-2&keywords=mini+wifi+adapter

• Registered Users Posts: 14 dolanbye

Also have a read of this.

support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/928152

Advertisement