Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6700k Vs 5820k

Options
  • 23-07-2016 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭

Thinking of an upgrading and just wondering what people think is a better option between the 6700k and 5820k.

4 cores vs 6. Base frequency difference before OCing. Lanes, 16 vs 28?

Thoughts? I'm mostly looking at gaming here and it'll be to complement the 1080 I already have.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

6700K. Less cores but faster base clock and much cheaper platform to upgrade to. The 5820K would be better at rendering and editing and similar workloads, but from a purely gaming perspective it would pretty much be wasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

For me newer generation and single core speed would be best. For me it would have to be the 6700k, max HT frequency is the main thing in my book, but 14nm process means less wasted power also. I've not kept up to date with games, by the issue always was certain tasks are single threaded, so unless they've become _very_ SMP aware the above would be wrong, but I don't think it is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Cheers folks.

I guess another question on top of this is 1151 vs 2011-3 for future upgrading - or am I right in thinking that either one would probably be getting replaced either way in the years before I would need an upgrade from either of these?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

By the time it's outdated, you might as well replace both motherboard & CPU.

For gaming, the GPU will be replaced more often.

okes so I'm thinking:

6700k £298.9

AsRock Z170 FATAL1TY Gaming K4 Skylake £108.46

RAM is my next question. I'm looking at Corsair Domintor or Vengence.
    Dom is out of stock at the moment and priced at around £120.
    Vengeance is priced around £90

Is there much difference between the two to recommend waiting and paying the extra?

• Advertisement

For gaming, you won't need more than 16Gb RAM.

Buy by price and speed.

Right now, DDR4-2666/2800 is priced near enough to DDR4-2133 that you might as well buy the faster RAM.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    For gaming, you won't need more than 16Gb RAM.

Buy by price and speed.

Right now, DDR4-2666/2800 is priced near enough to DDR4-2133 that you might as well buy the faster RAM.

Hi Kiki,

Cheers. Yea the RAM I'm looking at is 16gb for either piece running at DDR4 3200. Basically this or this. Just wondering if I'm better holding out for the Dominator or just going with the vengeance.

Noxin wrote: »
    Hi Kiki,

Cheers. Yea the RAM I'm looking at is 16gb for either piece running at DDR4 3200. Basically this or this. Just wondering if I'm better holding out for the Dominator or just going with the vengeance.

They have the exact same latency (16-18-18-36) so should perform the same out-of-the-box.

DDR4-3000 would run about £10-15 cheaper for barely any performance loss.

Great, cheers bro.

Advertisement