Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too far from fibre cabinet?

Options
  • 23-07-2016 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

Hi,

I need some advice, we are in a fibre area but literally just 150m outside Eir's 2km(By Road) range for fibre.

So 2.15km(By Road) from the nearest fibre cabinet. Therefore we are currently connected straight to the exchange with is about 3.4km away.

Would there be any advantage in trying to get connected to the cabinet in terms of line speed and stability? We are curently getting roughly 5.2Mbps down and 0.35Mbps up but the latency in the line varies like crazy.

Thanks for any advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Your best hope is the exchange goes NGN(stable latency), not possible to receive more than 6Mb with copper.

You should be on the list for FTTH between 2017 and 2022 which will mean 150Mb at a minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭TwistedPixel88

ED E wrote: »
    Your best hope is the exchange goes NGN(stable latency), not possible to receive more than 6Mb with copper.

You should be on the list for FTTH between 2017 and 2022 which will mean 150Mb at a minimum.

Thanks for the quick reply. Yea I'm honestly more frustrated with the latency issue then speed.

Just looked at the map on open eir, it stops about 100m from our house, I hope that isn't accurate :D

Even if OpenEir don't cover you in their 2020 lines that means you'll fall into the 2018-2022 NBP from the Govt.

The lines are open to revision, they tend to end at a local pole at the end of a duct so if its not crazy work for KNN to string fibre out from there to you there's a good chance they'll include you. Its house by house when it comes to brand new cabling.

Which one would be NGN?
    http://imgur.com/w7osRn1

Which one would be NGN?
    http://imgur.com/w7osRn1

Scratch that found another map showing NGN exchanges. That isn't one of them

• Advertisement

The fact that its listed as a reach node means its what OpenEir call a subtended exchange and means non NGN.
    Max speed 8Mb (ADSL1)
    Doesn't have 2+ racks so low on the priority list I'd guess.

The fact that its listed as a reach node means its what OpenEir call a subtended exchange and means non NGN.

Ok, thanks for the help. Guess I'll just have to wait 1-6 years :D:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

What's the difference between a Reach Node and an APT Reach Node on the Eir map?

Advertisement