Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Looking for options: current car getting too old

Options
  • 23-07-2016 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm currently driving a 16yo Citroen and am putting on over 500 miles per week on it (mixture of m-way and a/b roads). I'm still happy enough to continue driving it until it quits as it costs my little in repairs and I'm getting nearly 50mpg out of it. It is getting tired though in terms of the ride and there are signs of rust, although thankfully not on the chassis yet.

However, I now think that I'm at the stage whereby I need to start considering potential replacements for it as the pace is a bit high for an old car.

I want a proper upgrade in terms of ride and comfort and cabin noise levels, as well as an increase in fuel economy. I would expect that in the subsequent 15 years that most mainstream cars would be achieving these targets.

In terms of size I would like something no bigger than mid-sized. It is primarily a one person car - rarely do I have passengers.
    In terms of fuel, I've no preference but being a country boy I've driven nothing in my life that wasn't diesel.

Budget wise, not sure at this stage but I'll definitely not be speanding any more than €15,000.

I've been looking at the new shape A-class and A3. For me, both have the same problem - the badge. I'm not really into grand marques and I've a preference for something that is a bit more of sleeper. That is why I also have ruled out BMW. 3-series and A4's seem to have been taken over by the young idiot boys near where I am - they are destroying more cars than enough with their 'upgrades'! Although, if a good reason was provided I could change my mind.

I was initially looking at a Lexus IS, but although I'd possibly overlook the size, the reviews don't seem to be very favourable when compared against the German brands. It does seem to hold its value well though and for me is a bit more of a sleeper. Their CT200 is a very poor looking car. So that scrubs them.

I'm not looking for ads of done deal or anything, just a few suggestions for somemodels I should be keeping an eye on.

So some suggestions would be appreciated. However, if it last more than a year, I'd be more keen to lok at what types of hybrids or alternative fueled cars are on the road.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

If you want something a little different but that will drive well, be generally reliable and economical how about an Alfa 159 diesel?

You'd pick up a 2008-2009 1.9 diesel one for about €8k.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

What Citroen are you driving at the moment?

You can pretty much forget any newer car being more comfortable I'm afraid! Apparently everyone wants "sporty" feeling cars these days that rattle your teeth loose!

You clearly liked the Citroen you had before. Why not try a new C5?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    You clearly liked the Citroen you had before. Why not try a new C5?

I can second that...

I know this is a bit more expensive, but you get hydro (which, contrary to popular belief is cheaper to maintain than traditional suspension) and decent poke with 2.0 HDI.

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/citroen/c5/used-2013-131-citroen-c5-tourer-exclu-dublin-fpa-723753393439472194

You might want to curb your expectations, an improvement on 50mpg worth talking about won't be easy to come by.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Any word yet on what is the new suspension system they are rolling out next year to replace the hydropneumatic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Any word yet on what is the new suspension system they are rolling out next year to replace the hydropneumatic?

DCC of some sort probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Laguna?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

The new suspension has been developed in-house and will be exclusive to Citroën within the PSA Group “for the time being”. It replaces classic bump-stops in a conventional coil-over suspension unit with compact, carefully calibrated secondary dampers that Citroën engineers call progressive hydraulic cushions. These offer much better control towards the extremities of suspension bump and droop, permitting the suspension rates in the centre of travel, where the car spends most of its time, to be notably more relaxed and deliver what Citroën’s suspension experts call “a magic carpet ride”.

Loved the old Xantia we had. Great ride, good looking car in its era and easy to maintain. I had forgot about the C5. C4 was on my radar until they lost their looks.

Are the three german marques really top of the pile? I notice that What Car car of the year was an A4. There seems to be plenty of them about. Mercs are probably too big for me.

Advertisement