Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Changing from run flats to normal tyres...

Options
  • 23-07-2016 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭

Are there any down sides to this?

I change tyres at least twice a year due to mileage. I currently do about 60,000km per year so to keep the run flats are quite expensive.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The obvious downside would be what would happen if you got a flat.
    You could always carry an emergency aerosol can type thing, but this will not work in all cases.
    Does your car have somewhere to put a spare wheel for example.
    If you're doing a lot of mileage, this could be a concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The obvious downside would be what would happen if you got a flat.
    You could always carry an emergency aerosol can type thing, but this will not work in all cases.
    Does your car have somewhere to put a spare wheel for example.
    If you're doing a lot of mileage, this could be a concern.

The person who owned the car before me actually left a spare in the boot so I have one. Would probably need to but a jack though.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,139 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If your already got a spare wheel then your sorted (just make sure it fits). You can pick up a wheel brace and scissors jack either second hand from a scrap yard or new from a motor factors.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

I dislike run flats tbh. Up to 40% heavier than Normal tyres, due to the much thicker sidewall. With that weight comes increased unsprung weight, increased rolling resistance/inertia, so decreased fuel economy. Decreased comfort, feedback and braking efficiency, to boot. Grip/Noise aren't overly different between the two
    Bit silly though how they hark on about the CO2 emissions advantage over simply carrying a spare within the aerodynamic body of the vehicle :rolleyes:

And you still have to replace the tyre anyway. Do 30, 40 or so miles on a run flat and that sidewall is done. As opposed to less than one on a normal tyre, but at least if you stopped and changed for a spare the punctured tyre should be repairable, depending on the location of the hole.

Do 30 miles on "average Irish roads" also and the damage to wheels is also incredibly likely in the form of bending and cracking, because the sidewall is designed to support the weight of the vehicle. It cannot give, for that purpose.

Stick a set of normals under it, OP. You won't know yourself and if you want puncture resistance that actually conserves the tyre pressure (negating any need to actually run flat), there are a multitude of self sealing layer applications out there that work well with thorns, nails etc.

Unless you're a Justice Minister. Then Run Flat with support ring :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

The person who owned the car before me actually left a spare in the boot so I have one. Would probably need to but a jack though.

This is exactly what happened with me. I'm more than happy with the standard tyres due to the cost. The spare tyre takes up an awful lot of space though so I usually leave it somewhere convenient and if I have a flat somewhere I'll call in a favour to have it brought out to me. Not ideal obviously but I'm willing to risk it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Notch000

is there insurance implication to doing this ?? as run flays would be OEM equipemnt frm the factory ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,416 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Notch000 wrote: »
    is there insurance implication to doing this ?? as run flays would be OEM equipemnt frm the factory ?

Yes as you have modified the car from the manufacturer specs, ring them and tell them.
    They won't give a toss anyway but just to have it on record that you changed from oem to 3rd party.
    I did the same when I changed mine.
    Also the newer generation of runflats are miles better than originally , sidewall not as hard and hence a softer ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Blazer wrote: »
    Yes as you have modified the car from the manufacturer specs, ring them and tell them.
    They won't give a toss anyway but just to have it on record that you changed from oem to 3rd party.
    I did the same when I changed mine.
    Also the newer generation of runflats are miles better than originally , sidewall not as hard and hence a softer ride.

I've just replaced non-RFTs with Bridgestone S001 RFTs. Miles better ride than the Conti ssrs.

Trouble with bmws in particular is that the spare in the boot is really awkward!

Advertisement