Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

100 greatest metal albums of the 21st century

Options
  • 23-07-2016 12:25am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

I came across this post on Linkin Park's Twitter this evening, stating that "Hybrid Theory" was named the 10th best metal album of the 21st century by Metalhammer magizine.

n9K8jn3.png

Metal-Hammer-100-Greatest-Albums-of-the-21st-century.jpg

Its hard to make out the list on the link, as most of it is blurred out but form what I can make out, part of the the list includes:

Disturbed - The Sickness

Arch Enemy - Anthems Of Rebellion

Municipal Waste - The Art of Partying

Babymetal - Babymetal

Cradle of Filth - Midian

Napalm Death - Apex Predator

Of Mice & Men - The Flood

Orange Goblin - A Eulogy For The Damned

Sabaton - The Art of War

Queens of the Stone Age - Songs for the Deaf

What Metal Albums do you think are the best of 21st century so far?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Lamb of God - Sacrament

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Alanhooly

Slipknot - Iowa

System of a Down -> System of a Down

Korn - Life is Peachy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rainman16

Alanhooly wrote: »
    Slipknot - Iowa

Korn - Life is Peachy

I think all 3 of those could be on the list man, I'm going to get the magazine and post the full list later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,182 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Iowa was top of the list. Thought it was only for metal album's though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

jacksie66 wrote: »
    Machine Head - Through The Ashes of Empires
    Machine Head - The Blackening

I think there was criteria for it where it's one album per band so I'm guessing it's the Blackening which will feature.

As an big AE fan strange to see Anthems of rebellion get the nod as their selection.

A big band was bound to get number 1 so no arguments that it's Iowa really,So I'd imagine the likes of A7X,Rammstein,Linkin Park and Slayer make this list too.

Although awhile back they had a greatest albums of all time Iowa was #87 now the countdown did feature multiple albums by bands and largely dominated by classics from Maiden,Metallica,Sabbath,Priest. Didn't exactly paint a good picture of the state of rock & metal today. It's worth noting Iowa was beaten in this list by other albums released in the 2000's the Blackening,Laterlus,Blackwater Park & Toxicity :D

Alanhooly wrote: »

Korn - Life is Peachy

So last century :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Opeth - Ghost Reveries
    Enslaved - Below the Lights
    Gojira - From Mars to Sirius
    The Angelic Process - Weighing Souls With Sand
    Mastodon - Leviathan
    Isis - Panopticon
    Agalloch - Ashes Against the Grain
    Sleep - Dopesmoker
    Alcest - Écailles de lune
    Celtic Frost - Monotheist
    Gorguts - Colored Sands
    Vektor - Terminal Redux
    Tool - Lateralus
    Electric Wizard - Dopethrone
    Kylesa - Static Tensions
    Thy Catafalque - Rengeteg
    Weakling - Dead as Dreams
    Deftones - White Pony
    Akercocke - Words That Go Unspoken, Deeds That Go Undone
    Ufomammut - Idolum

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Was a it drunk last night and listening to LOG hence my post above....

Here are a few more

Deftones-White Pony

Dog Fashion Disco - Committed to a bright future

Faith no More - Sol Invictus

Red Fang - Red Fang

Tool - Lateralus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Really when you see the list of albums above it reinforces how poor metal has become. Lateralus is one of the most boring albums I ever heard, Sol Invictus is a poor cousin to anything FNM released in the 80s and 90s.
    I like Isis and SOAD and bands like Opeth but really apart from a few records it's been turgid for a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Ahab - The Giant
    Amon Amarth - With Odin on our Side
    Baroness - Red Album
    Blind Guardian - A Night at the Opera
    Devin Townsend Project - Addicted
    Dream Theater - Train of Thought
    Elder - Dead Roots Stirring
    If These Trees Could Talk - Red Forest
    Isis - Oceanic
    Katatonia - Dead End Kings
    Mastodon - Leviathan
    Opeth - Blackwater Park
    Rammstein - Mutter
    Tool - Lateralus

Keeping it to 1 album per band leaves out some quality albums as well

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 12,846 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Crack The Skye - Mastodon
    Heavy Rocks - Boris
    Blackwater Park - Opeth

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Megadeth - Endgame.

I think it shows how much metal has changed in the past 16 years. I like that they went with just one album per band, They could have stacked the list with a few popular bands from the the early/mid 2000's but this format leaves room for the more unconventional metal bands of recent years like Ghost and Babymetal. I was a cheep bastard today and didn't buy the mag but I had a good luck at the list and there's a great mix of all different styles of metal. Some bands I hadn't even heard of before but will now check out their music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭LunarSea

Opeth - Ghost Reveries
    Enslaved - Below the Lights
    Gojira - From Mars to Sirius
    The Angelic Process - Weighing Souls With Sand
    Mastodon - Leviathan
    Isis - Panopticon
    Agalloch - Ashes Against the Grain
    Sleep - Dopesmoker
    Alcest - Écailles de lune
    Celtic Frost - Monotheist
    Gorguts - Colored Sands
    Vektor - Terminal Redux
    Tool - Lateralus
    Electric Wizard - Dopethrone
    Kylesa - Static Tensions
    Thy Catafalque - Rengeteg
    Weakling - Dead as Dreams
    Deftones - White Pony
    Akercocke - Words That Go Unspoken, Deeds That Go Undone
    Ufomammut - Idolum

Thank **** someone in this thread actually listens to metal.

buck65 wrote: »
    Really when you see the list of albums above it reinforces how poor metal has become. Lateralus is one of the most boring albums I ever heard, Sol Invictus is a poor cousin to anything FNM released in the 80s and 90s.
    I like Isis and SOAD and bands like Opeth but really apart from a few records it's been turgid for a long time.

This old nugget.

Metal is in rude health, I can't afford to keep up with all the killer releases this year alone.

Lists from Metal Hammer = mostly populist rubbish and not any indication of the breadth and depth of killer stuff out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Okon

Oh dear, I really am turning in to an old fart.

1) Most of the albums mentioned above wouldn't be on my radar, as some of those bands I haven't even heard of!

2) For me, 21st Century metal doesn't compare to the Ride the Lightnings, Peace Sells, Reign in Bloods, Chaos AD's, Numbers of the Beasts and British Steels (etc.) of this world.

So it's time to leave this thread and go and dust off my Waynes World VHS now...

Okon wrote: »

1) Most of the albums mentioned above wouldn't be on my radar, as some of those bands I haven't even heard of!

2) For me, 21st Century metal doesn't compare to the Ride the Lightnings, Peace Sells, Reign in Bloods, Chaos AD's, Numbers of the Beasts and British Steels (etc.) of this world.

So it's time to leave this thread and go and dust off my Waynes World VHS now...

So basically...

1) I haven't listened/heard of A,B & C
    2) I'm still fit to confirm they are not as good as X,Y & Z

Rather than being a Negative Nancy, here's what I think are the best metal albums released since 2000 (that I can think of off the top of my head, in no particular order, with a few EPs thrown in for good measure)...

Obliteration - "Black Death Horizon"
    Deathspell Omega - "Paracletus"
    Exivious - "Exivious"
    Solitude Aeturnus - "Alone"
    Defeated Sanity - "Passages Into Deformity"
    Opeth - "Ghost Reveries"
    Autopsy - "The Tomb Within"
    Decrepit Birth - "Diminishing Between Worlds"
    Artificial Brain - "Labyrinth Constellation"
    Nile - "In Their Darkened Shrines"
    Absu - "Absu"
    Mastodon - "Leviathan"
    Jeff Loomis - "Zero Order Phase"
    Nevermore - "This Godless Endeavour"
    Shrinebuilder - "Shrinebuilder"
    Meshuggah - "I"
    Malthusian - "Demo MMXIII"
    Dead Congregation - "Graves of the Archangels"
    Hannes Grossmann - "The Radial Covenant"
    Alkaloid - "The Malkuth Grimoire"
    Obscura - "Omnivium"
    Necrophagist - "Epitaph"
    Decapitated - "Organic Hallucinosis"
    Gorguts - "Coloured Sands"
    Voivod - "Post Society"
    Crypt Sermon - "Out of the Garden"
    Enforcer - "Diamonds"
    Pallbearer - "Foundations of Burden"
    Place of Skulls - "With Vision"
    Vektor - "Terminal Redux"
    Evile - "Five Serpent's Teeth" (seriously, if Metallica released this it'd be hailed as the Second Coming)
    Lost Horizon - "Awakening the World"
    Ihsahn - "Arktis"
    Portrait - "Portrait"
    KEN Mode - "Entrench"
    Melechesh - "Emissaries"

The funny thing is that there's albums in both Judas Priest's and Sepultura's back catalogue that eat British Steel and Chaos AD for breakfast, never mind the amount of albums on the go these days that utterly destroy them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

LunarSea wrote: »
    Rather than being a Negative Nancy, here's what I think are the best metal albums released since 2000 (that I can think of off the top of my head, in no particular order, with a few EPs thrown in for good measure)...

Obliteration - "Black Death Horizon"
    Deathspell Omega - "Paracletus"
    Exivious - "Exivious"
    Solitude Aeturnus - "Alone"
    Defeated Sanity - "Passages Into Deformity"
    Opeth - "Ghost Reveries"
    Autopsy - "The Tomb Within"
    Decrepit Birth - "Diminishing Between Worlds"
    Artificial Brain - "Labyrinth Constellation"
    Nile - "In Their Darkened Shrines"
    Absu - "Absu"
    Mastodon - "Leviathan"
    Jeff Loomis - "Zero Order Phase"
    Nevermore - "This Godless Endeavour"
    Shrinebuilder - "Shrinebuilder"
    Meshuggah - "I"
    Malthusian - "Demo MMXIII"
    Dead Congregation - "Graves of the Archangels"
    Hannes Grossmann - "The Radial Covenant"
    Alkaloid - "The Malkuth Grimoire"
    Obscura - "Omnivium"
    Necrophagist - "Epitaph"
    Decapitated - "Organic Hallucinosis"
    Gorguts - "Coloured Sands"
    Voivod - "Post Society"
    Crypt Sermon - "Out of the Garden"
    Enforcer - "Diamonds"
    Pallbearer - "Foundations of Burden"
    Place of Skulls - "With Vision"
    Vektor - "Terminal Redux"
    Evile - "Five Serpent's Teeth" (seriously, if Metallica released this it'd be hailed as the Second Coming)
    Lost Horizon - "Awakening the World"
    Ihsahn - "Arktis"
    Portrait - "Portrait"
    KEN Mode - "Entrench"
    Melechesh - "Emissaries"

Of your list I have 5 albums and at least another 3 or 4 other albums than the ones you have listed by those bands. So I'm no expert in 21st century metal. I also love Altar of Plagues and Mourning Beloveth both who have released albums that would be in my top 10 of all time.
    Good to see Deathspell Omega there but I would also add Krallice's "Diotima".
    I suppose my point about metal being poor is borne out by the mention of Autopsy and Voivod who's releases haven't been as good as the late 80s stuff they both did.
    Stuff like Nile, Meshuggah and Mastodon just bores me though.

LunarSea wrote: »
    The funny thing is that there's albums in both Judas Priest's and Sepultura's back catalogue that eat British Steel and Chaos AD for breakfast, never mind the amount of albums on the go these days that utterly destroy them.

There are, for sure, but when you a posting a message quickly on your phone they are what came in to my head without giving it too much analysis... or doing a very long list. (I prefer Screaming for Vengeance to British Steel for instance, but they are both brilliant.)

I am not up to date with too many modern metal bands, bar what comes through the bedroom walls, or bands I see as support acts... but a lot of it seems like loud growling and rasping! Although it's probably better than having X Factor manufactured pop type of stuff blaring through the house, so I can't complain.

buck65 wrote: »
    Of your list I have 5 albums and at least another 3 or 4 other albums than the ones you have listed by those bands. So I'm no expert in 21st century metal. I also love Altar of Plagues and Mourning Beloveth both who have released albums that would be in my top 10 of all time.
    Good to see Deathspell Omega there but I would also add Krallice's "Diotima".
    I suppose my point about metal being poor is borne out by the mention of Autopsy and Voivod who's releases haven't been as good as the late 80s stuff they both did.
    Stuff like Nile, Meshuggah and Mastodon just bores me though.

Again I just plucked them off the top of my head. Nile, Meshuggah and Mastodon bore you - those three bands alone off a pretty wide breadth of styles. That's a lot of metal that you don't like, so it's nothing to do with how good the scene is, it's just your personal tastes (which is grand as different strokes for different folks and all that)

As for Voivod and Autopsy - have you listened to those two releases? Autopsy have gone downhill since it came out, but "The Tomb Within" is (IMO, of course) one of their best releases. As for Voivod - it's right up there with Killing Technology and Dimension Hatross, no joke. Even as a long time Voivod fan "We Are Connected" is possibly my favourite song of theirs. Even bands like say Deftones, they're still putting out albums that are worth coughing up for. "Gore" is ****ing deadly.

I think the flip of there being so much metal is it's impossible to keep up with and consume it all. The fact that you are into DSO, Mourning Beloveth and Altar of Plagues means you're more up to speed than pretty much everyone else (not that it's a competition, it is, after all, just entertainment).

I recall years ago at college, one of the lads came into the lab late as he was picking up Metallica tickets, his "favourite band ever". We had a little stereo in there, and I happened to be bringing in a bunch of CDs for a mate to lend him llater. The other lad asks if I have any music on me, so I said "here I'll make your morning so". I stuck on Master of Puppets - once Battery got going he has a grimace about him "what's that noisy ****e?" he asks :eek: He thought their first album was the Black Album and that Enter Sandman was the heaviest song ever written. He's the same sort of lad that will say "there's no good metal these days" - basically there's no Black Album Part II and he dosn't really care for much outside of it, but no, it's the genre that has the problem, not his listening habits.

There are, for sure, but when you a posting a message quickly on your phone they are what came in to my head without giving it too much analysis... or doing a very long list. (I prefer Screaming for Vengeance to British Steel for instance, but they are both brilliant.)

I am not up to date with too many modern metal bands, bar what comes through the bedroom walls, or bands I see as support acts... but a lot of it seems like loud growling and rasping! Although it's probably better than having X Factor manufactured pop type of stuff blaring through the house, so I can't complain.

More of a Stained Class and Painkiller man myself, but it's all good! :p

That's interesting that you say "it's all growling and rasping", that's been a thing in metal for over 30 years now. You also cited classic Sepultura earlier - those first 4 albums are death/thrash, and although Reign In Blood has a clean vocal style, it's a huge influence on death/extreme metal.

I guess it all depends on what someone wants from music. Some people won't go near the more extreme ends of metal as they want good vocal hooks (which I totally get, as I'm actually really into pop music from the 50s to the mid 90s), catchy songs, etc. I find really technical death metal interesting for the music and playing, doesn't need to be conventionally "catchy" - same buzz I get off jazz and classical.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭jayobray

Overkill - White Devil Armoury
    Tau Cross - Tau Cross
    Desaster - The Oath of an Iron Ritual
    Exodus - Blood In Blood Out
    Primordial - To The Nameless Dead
    Amon Amarth - Twilight of the Thunder God

Just a few off the top of my head

Metalhammer followed up their 100 best metal albums of the 21st century list by opening the topic for a public vote, Here are the results

jayobray wrote: »
    Exodus - Blood In Blood Out

Blood in Blood Out is a good album, and one of my favourites of recent years. It's a return to form for Exodus afer some average albums (and 'that' remake!)... I hope Souza sticks around a bit longer this time; as we should have another Exodus album next year. So I will look forward to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Surprised nobody's mentioned Behemoth's The Satanist.

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Surprised nobody's mentioned Behemoth's The Satanist.

That's a killer album for sure. "Ora Pro Nobis Lucifer" is a lesson in how to craft a supremely memorable metal tune without making it sound like a wet noodle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 carlo5

Cult of Luna and Obsidian Kingdom's two last albums are really interesting also in the post-metal category.

Advertisement