Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rear-ended

Options
  • 22-07-2016 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

Howdy, a quick question for you guys. I drive a 99 polo and was rear ended the other night. I had hoped to talk to the girl in question and try and sort things without going to claims but she obviously did some damage to her own car as well and just went straight to insurance. Pity as I could have fixed my own car if she just gave me 500. Anyways, to properly fix with new bumper etc. will cost over 800. I imagine when I give that quote to their assessor they will want to write it off and it's a shame as it is a damn fine car(special edition with sroof and el. windows) If they offer to give me what they think it's worth, can I take it and still keep the car ? or can they take the car off me.:o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Foleyart wrote: »
    Howdy, a quick question for you guys. I drive a 99 polo and was rear ended the other night. I had hoped to talk to the girl in question and try and sort things without going to claims but she obviously did some damage to her own car as well and just went straight to insurance. Pity as I could have fixed my own car if she just gave me 500. Anyways, to properly fix with new bumper etc. will cost over 800. I imagine when I give that quote to their assessor they will want to write it off and it's a shame as it is a damn fine car(special edition with sroof and el. windows) If they offer to give me what they think it's worth, can I take it and still keep the car ? or can they take the car off me.:o

If they deem the car a write off and essentially "buy" it off you then they are entitled to take possession of it for salvage.

Salvage laws are pretty strict as the potential for cars to be deemed to be written off then either resold with substandard repairs, used in staged accidents etc is there.

By the sounds of it there is only cosmetic damage done so tell them you want the repairs done and let them worry about the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Foleyart

Cheers Saul, thanks for that sounds like a plan. I just have to hope the assessor is reasonably decent about it.

Advertisement