Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scam Facebook Pages

Options
  • 22-07-2016 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭

Came across a fake Facebook page pretending to be Expert Ireland. They had a competition
    'Now you have the chance to go crazy in one of our stores and take everything you want for 30 minutes!'
    As soon as i read it, straight away it shouts scam. That's thousands of euros worth of products and no shop would really do that just for competition on Facebook.
    I checked it out and realized its a scam simply by scrolling down and seeing they only started the page recently and there was no link to the shop. If you search for expert Ireland webpage and click on their Facebook button it brings you to a different page.
    Also within the comments section it has a competition to win an iPhone but you need to pay to enter, thus providing details to enter.

anyway my point or question is,
    how can people not cop on that this is a scam, thousands are falling for it.
    As the saying goes if it's too good to be true it probably isn't.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

anyway my point or question is, how can people not cop on that this is a scam, thousands are falling for it.
    As the saying goes if it's too good to be true it probably isn't.

It's simple, there are a lot of stupid people in the world. Sounds harsh, but it's true!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Why are they bothering to set up a scam page?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Some people would do that anything for a perceived freebie.

Look at those "competitions" run by British Airways. Dunnes. and Argos. , clearly fake yet often the first comment after someone shares is "this isn't a real page, be careful" only to be met with "I know, but just incases".

Here there be eejits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭duffman3833

bigpink wrote: »

to get peoples details by trying to get them to enter competitions and having the users submit there details.

So looking for email addresses?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Just look at the theliberal.ie. They had a load of fake competitions for iPhones and the like that required people to like their facebook page. Once people do that, they rarely unlike it, so it's an easy, cheap and scummy way to build your audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Do you have a new business? Want several thousand followers? Well, then buy a facebook account which already has several thousand followers.

Ever wonder why your mates that have RayBan glasses posts joined the RayBan site? They probably didn't, but joined some Tesco page that gave promised them 9 million euros, that was since sold onto the RayBan scammers.

So looking for email addresses?

see attached
    it directs you to a page like this and you input your phone no and then your changed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

I've warned a few people about those pages. Latest was Expert Electrical and Penneys - both pages set up in the last couple of days. Even with me being unfit, I could clear thousands of euros in the Expert "30 minute dash" :-D Sad to say, some people are so gullible and the worst are the ones that are supposed to be intelligent!!

the_syco wrote: »
    Do you have a new business? Want several thousand followers? Well, then buy a facebook account which already has several thousand followers.

Ever wonder why your mates that have RayBan glasses posts joined the RayBan site? They probably didn't, but joined some Tesco page that gave promised them 9 million euros, that was since sold onto the RayBan scammers.

Buy the password?Can a page name to changed and all the scam stuff deleted?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Buy the password?Can a page name to changed and all the scam stuff deleted?
    Change the name; https://www.facebook.com/help/203523569682738
    And then just delete the couple of posts.

If I ever get drunk near a computer, I may set up a page, and then rename it to GodzillaOurSaviour a few months down the road :P

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

davo2001 wrote: »
    It's simple, there are a lot of stupid people in the world. Sounds harsh, but it's true!
    While this is true scammers are getting better and better too.
    You cannot expect everyone to have the same cop on as yourself.

And because it's so easy to get people to sign up to stuff and then ask for payment from the protection of your own home, these things will increase.

Advertisement