Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First job ever...in Iceland

Options
  • 22-07-2016 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

I might have a job in Iceland but its only for 6 weeks.
    I've been on JSA for about 4 years and I think I'll lose it if I get the job, will I?
    The employer just asked me to email him my criminal record which should be clean...unless you count 15 years in Cavan :P
    What will I need to do if I get it? any forms I need to fill in? do I need an Icelandic bank account?
    They provide accommodation and pay towards my travel.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Will you be stocking the freezers, or on the cash register?

Have a look at the Icelandic EURES site.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭magicmoves

What's the job if you don't mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭brock92

Is it a job here? http://www.iceland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 27 manofcavan

magicmoves wrote: »
    What's the job if you don't mind me asking?

Don't actually know yet, it's in a meat processing plant so probably just moving carcases around or boxes, something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

manofcavan wrote: »
    I've been on JSA for about 4 years and I think I'll lose it if I get the job, will I?
    The employer just asked me to email him my criminal record which should be clean...unless you count 15 years in Cavan :P
    What will I need to do if I get it? any forms I need to fill in? do I need an Icelandic bank account?

Why are they asking for a criminal background check? To my knowledge, only employers and organizations registered with Garda vetting (Schools, sports clubs if you're coaching kids and perhaps banks etc that deal with large amounts of cash) can ask for a background check. I'd be telling them get up the yard with that one.

• Advertisement

Yurt! wrote: »
    Why are they asking for a criminal background check? To my knowledge, only employers and organizations registered with Garda vetting (Schools, sports clubs if you're coaching kids and perhaps banks etc that deal with large amounts of cash) can ask for a background check. I'd be telling them get up the yard with that one.

It's in Iceland the country, working in a place with lots of knives and other sharp tools and packaging meat that will end up on somebody's plate so im not surprised they asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,733 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Yurt! wrote: »

Are you knowledgeable on Icelandic employment law?

OP, I would tread carefully here. Why are they looking for someone from overseas, who they will have to pay travel / accommodation for - rather than hiring a local?

Now, maybe it's your English language skills that they need.

But maybe it's some how doing something illegal. Maybe it's mad hours which the locals won't do. Maybe it's dangerous. Etc.

I'm not saying doing do it. But be careful. Talk to your better travelled friends/family about how to keep yourself safe while there. Don't be giving your passport to your employer for safekeeping - and make sure it's always somewhere safe. Make sure that your family know where you are, and keep in touch every couple of days.

And no matter how hard the job is, don't hit the beer hard every night. There's a risk with remote, accommodation provided (= nothing to do except drink) jobs that you end up drinking all you earn.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Ah, I actually thought it was a job in Iceland the supermarket, DERP!

Irrespective, the Gardai have tightened up who can and can't ask for vetting / background checks lately.

Here be the details, which typically, are clear as muck.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/monitoring_and_surveillance_at_work/garda_clearance_for_employees.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

OP, I would tread carefully here. Why are they looking for someone from overseas, who they will have to pay travel / accommodation for - rather than hiring a local?

But maybe it's some how doing something illegal. Maybe it's mad hours which the locals won't do. Maybe it's dangerous. Etc.

I'm not saying doing do it. But be careful. Talk to your better-travelled friends/family about how to keep yourself safe while there. Don't be giving your passport to your employer for safekeeping - and make sure it's always somewhere safe. Make sure that your family know where you are, and keep in touch every couple of days.

And no matter how hard the job is, don't hit the beer hard every night. There's a risk with remote, accommodation provided (= nothing to do except drink) jobs that you end up drinking all you earn.

Doesn't Iceland have an Unemployment rate of 2%% or something

Might be hard to get people in each sector

Polo_Mint wrote: »
    Doesn't Iceland have an Unemployment rate of 2%% or something

Might be hard to get people in each sector

Yep, they have very low unemployment and a highly educated population so not many locals working in places like that lol

• Advertisement

I'm not saying doing do it. But be careful. Talk to your better travelled friends/family about how to keep yourself safe while there. Don't be giving your passport to your employer for safekeeping - and make sure it's always somewhere safe. Make sure that your family know where you are, and keep in touch every couple of days.

I appreciate your concern but I've applied for a few jobs in Iceland and they all provide accommodation and travel expenses or pay half of the flight there and back.
    I just got an email a couple hours ago from another company saying they rang me, I had my SIM in my hotspot (I live in the sticks) I asked them to call back tomorrow, they pay 1500 euro a week + accommodation+ 50% travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

I appreciate your concern but I've applied for a few jobs in Iceland and they all provide accommodation and travel expenses or pay half of the flight there and back.
    I just got an email a couple hours ago from another company saying they rang me, I had my SIM in my hotspot (I live in the sticks) I asked them to call back tomorrow, they pay 1500 euro a week + accommodation+ 50% travel.

haha 1500 a week ya right

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Looks like they've been importing meat workers for a while.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-29892427

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

You can freeze your JSA until you return ask at your local office about freezing it, it think it is usually for just 4 weeks but they will prob give you 6 weeks, I know during the summer they often increase it due to high numbers of people getting work.

I assume that Irish people are allowed working in Iceland without a visa?

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

It's probably a position as a troll-hunter, a lot of nightwork, and rooting around under bridges, but good useful socially responsible work all the same.

Joe prim wrote: »
    It's probably a position as a troll-hunter, a lot of nightwork, and rooting around under bridges, but good useful socially responsible work all the same.

you need to get an elf-spotting certificate before hunting trolls, as you need to be able to differentiate the different between trolls and elfs. Unfortunately the leprechaun locating certificate of Ireland does not suffice, though you can get an add on course.

Elmo wrote: »
    You can freeze your JSA until you return ask at your local office about freezing it, it think it is usually for just 4 weeks but they will prob give you 6 weeks, I know during the summer they often increase it due to high numbers of people getting work.

I assume that Irish people are allowed working in Iceland without a visa?

Any EU or EEA citizen can work in another EU or EEA country without a visa.
    My "employment advisor" called me earlier and said I can get "fast tracked back onto JSA"
    I really just want a job, I don't care what it is, 4 years on JSA in Cavan is like hell.

My "employment advisor" called me earlier and said I can get "fast tracked back onto JSA"

Ask if you can freeze it rather than fast track, do they really need to do another means test? I know when I worked in a local office they would put people into hold and when they returned they would have them straight back on, and would close them after a certain number of weeks.

Elmo wrote: »
    Ask if you can freeze it rather than fast track, do they really need to do another means test? I know when I worked in a local office they would put people into hold and when they returned they would have them straight back on, and would close them after a certain number of weeks.

Thanks, I'll ask about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Means test generally every two years.

I would not underestimate cost of living in Iceland. I was there some years ago...and had to stop taxi three times to take out cash going from airport to airport hotel. Slice of pizza 20 euro. Was there for work so didn't really affect me. Flight home through London on a Saturday made me laugh as lots flying to Scotland to do weekly grocery shop. No

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Phantasos

You won't lose it.

If you close your JSA claim, you'll have to reapply for it when you finish your temporary job.

If you ring them and say you have temporary work, they can suspend your JSA claim for a period (around 6/7 weeks max). When you finish the temp job, you give them a P45 or employer's letter to say you're finished, and they'll get you back on JSA in jig time.

In any case, keep them in the loop and you'll be fine. Get a letter from employer stating you're employed temporarily for them if you can.

Advertisement