Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Am I mad?

Options
  • 21-07-2016 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭

I have an 05 mondeo st tdci which is a great car. I bought it from a member here and it has been faultless and a credit to its previous owner. I've been driving my partners year old bmw a lot lately and when I sit back into my own car I just find it a bit harsh and unrefined on the road with its big wheels and less than perfect sound proofing. I am in the mind to switch to something a bit more comfortable such as a volvo s40 2.0d or even an alfa 159 diesel. I am doing fairly big miles and will probably be leaving the country in max two to three years time so it doesn't make sense to spend a huge amount of money on changing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Yes your stone crackers, you like the feel of the bmw so your thinking of a volvo or alfa, pass back the tipp-ex.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It's more a new car vs old car thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Yes your stone crackers, you like the feel of the bmw so your thinking of a volvo or alfa, pass back the tipp-ex.

I think that is exactly what I needed to hear!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I think that exactly what I needed to hear!!!!

The bmw's in a different league even a 2005 Mondeo versus a 2005 3 or 5 series. A lot more refined and a world different to drive, you can't compare a mondeo to a rwd beamer.
    Volvo or Alfa will probably break your heart and wallet.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭xECompanyx

Have my 1.6d VOLVO s40 for 8 yrs now, black, full body kit, silver mirrors, getting 60 miles/gal, 1yr old when I imported from UK. Will never buy another make, only VOLVO ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

What if another car comes out that's nicer?

I was on the hunt for an s40 or an s60 when I bought the mondeo and looked at a couple but one was as rough as bejayus and the other was pissing diesel from the injector seals. The s60 had the dreaded anti skid warning light pop up on the test drive so I left it behind. I loved the idea of the big comfy leather seats in the Volvos but the mondeo st was too good a car to leave behind. It's like a car that's 5 years younger. I haven't driven a 159 so I can't comment.

I think I just want to get a comfy cruiser but not something too big. I had an e60 530d a few years ago but I just found it too big a car for me. I had an e90 320d before that which was the perfect size for me. Unfortunately my budget now is a fraction of what I had 3 years ago as I'm now a homeowner and any 320ds at my budget are fairly ragged.
    My commute is about 65 miles round with about 8 of those being twisty country roads. It's all n road and motorway otherwise hence the comfy barge mentality I now have.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,139 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Thanks a mill bazz but a €4900 would be pushing my budget these days never mind €14900!! Bought and renovated a house last year so credit union says no for the next year or two..

I somehow picked up from your post that you were looking for a car no older than 5 years. Being honest with a low budget you're probably not going to make much of a leap other than the novelty of a different car.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

If your budget is low, you want a very refined newish car and a 5 series is too big for you, I think your criteria has ruled anything for you.

5 series is not much bigger than a mondeo anyway, depending on exactly what your budget is I would suggest an older 5 series, won't be any less refined than a new one but would be much cheaper.

Pure refinement means you would be looking at petrol engines but your mileage is high enough so diesel probably better option, but they are dearer.

You'll have to drop one or more of your constraints. My preference would be go older and you can keep refinement

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Keep the st as you say you plan on leaving.

If it's giving you no trouble the next car you get could break your heart with trouble.

I was on the hunt for an s40 or an s60 when I bought the mondeo and looked at a couple but one was as rough as bejayus and the other was pissing diesel from the injector seals. The s60 had the dreaded anti skid warning light pop up on the test drive so I left it behind. I loved the idea of the big comfy leather seats in the Volvos but the mondeo st was too good a car to leave behind. It's like a car that's 5 years younger. I haven't driven a 159 so I can't comment.

I think I just want to get a comfy cruiser but not something too big. I had an e60 530d a few years ago but I just found it too big a car for me. I had an e90 320d before that which was the perfect size for me. Unfortunately my budget now is a fraction of what I had 3 years ago as I'm now a homeowner and any 320ds at my budget are fairly ragged.
    My commute is about 65 miles round with about 8 of those being twisty country roads. It's all n road and motorway otherwise hence the comfy barge mentality I now have.

Come to think of it, the two problems you mentioned re anti skid light and injector seals issue did happen to my Volvo, obvious flaws with the manufacturer. Volvo main dealer fixed the anti skid issue for free even though the car was out of warranty as it was a safety issue and in stark contrast to what vovlo stands for. Just as well it was free, the bill was 1200€. I had a new injector fitted and new seals for around €600, no other nasty bills in the 8 yrs I have had it than God. It's my 3rd Volvo btw. The new S90 is nice, wishful thinking..

The Volvo anti-skid problem is with the ABS/traction control module. Volvo were replacing these under goodwill.

bazz26 wrote: »
    The Volvo anti-skid problem is with the ABS/traction control module. Volvo were replacing these under goodwill.

Yes, it was the ABS CPU, no mention of good will at the time, I had to fight my case, perhaps I set a precedent ;-)

Advertisement