Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Battery cell change assistance

Options
  • 21-07-2016 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Dear readers.
    I have a Prius from 2004. Recently I've got a std 3 alarms on the panel which stated that hybrid battery fault. Toyota service did a "deep" battery analysis and stated: "1 cell fault found. Battery needs to be replaced"
    I read a lot of forums and watched some videos @youtube. There is a lot of tricks have to be done to complete cell(s) change successfully. I'm wonder if there is somebody in Ireland who can assist and guide cell(s) change for my battery? I'd appreciate their time and effort respectively.
    Thanks
    Alex (Sanila)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Sanila wrote: »
    I'd appreciate their time and effort respectively.
    Thanks
    Alex (Sanila)

It looks like a bit labour intensive, but rather straightforward job... Even DIY.

The biggest issue is to remove the pack from the car - it is damn heavy...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭TBi

grogi wrote: »
    The biggest issue is to remove the pack from the car - it is damn heavy...

The biggest issue is that there are lethal voltages on the pack! Make sure you take care and go slowly. Any mishap could cost you dearly and i don't mean money wise.

Other than that the swap is simple enough., if you can deal with the weight of the battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

I have some good spare cells.

But looking online , just simply swapping these out may not necessarily do the trick as they need to be balanced , which looks very complicated and time consuming, but some lads have got lucky.

€ 30 each if you want them. And chance it , South Dublin

All the cells need to be balanced after any new cells are installed to have equal voltage. It's a pita to do but worth it, failing this you could buy a 2nd hand battery from the U.K and have someone install it for you and then sell yours for spares.

You need to pull the service pug and wear proper safety gloves that are in date, you do not want to come in contact with the DC voltage from that pack !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

How long is the battery warranty in a Prius?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,259 ✭✭✭greasepalm

but do toyota not state you dont own the batteries and you only rent them and they want them back?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Sanila

All the cells need to be balanced after any new cells are installed to have equal voltage. It's a pita to do but worth it, failing this you could buy a 2nd hand battery from the U.K and have someone install it for you and then sell yours for spares.

You need to pull the service pug and wear proper safety gloves that are in date, you do not want to come in contact with the DC voltage from that pack !!!

thanks for this. I'm wonder if you could advise any garage where cells change/balancing might be done? i'm worried about cells balancing the most.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭TBi

greasepalm wrote: »
    but do toyota not state you dont own the batteries and you only rent them and they want them back?

No. You own the battery.

greasepalm wrote: »

i've never heard this. Will be visiting their center today and will ask.
    Thanks.

TBi wrote: »
    No. You own the battery.

ok, clear.

• Advertisement

Bigus wrote: »
    I have some good spare cells.

But looking online , just simply swapping these out may not necessarily do the trick as they need to be balanced , which looks very complicated and time consuming, but some lads have got lucky.

€ 30 each if you want them. And chance it , South Dublin

great. I might buy some if would find smd who will assist with cells change/balancing

Someone here already had this done,

DO a google search Type the below exactly as is in the google search box.

site:www.boards.ie Prius battery

Don't click the link in the text above. Just copy and paste into the google search box.

Report back.

Hi guys,
    i was advised to buy this for cells/battery balancing: hybridautomotive. com/products/prolong-battery-reconditioning-package?variant=5576310276

does anybody have experience using it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

I replied to your PM , but for the sake of the public forum I'll repeat some of what I said.

I think if you can get a good secondhand battery for 400/500 € would be more cost effective than paying for the labour of changing cells that may not work out.

And changing a whole Prius battery is straightforward .

It might be straightforward but it can be lethal if proper precautions are not adhered to , so should be within the capabilities of a competent DIY person.

It might be straightforward but it can be lethal if proper precautions are not adhered to , so should be within the capabilities of a competent DIY person.

hi guys.

i tried to repair my battery yesterday. 27 cells were above 8V (8.01-8.04) and only 1-7.97V. I was not sure if it was a problem so i cleaned contacts only (were very oxidized) and put battery back. Unfortunately my 12v battery went flat and i asked friend of mine to boost my prius. But the car couldn't start. I have a system switched on with all indicators on and red triangle as well. Engine is not working. Gearbox is P and N only. Pls, advise where the issue could be and why?
    P.S. i'd like to mention this issue occurred even before i open the battery. I was missing some instruments from the very beginning and decided to go and buy them once i unplug the safety switch. So I put it back but car didn't started. i thought that happens because of the safety issues but not...

As far as I remember, it's a very bad Idea to jump the Prius 12V battery from an ICE.

The 12 battery cold very possibly be dead and won't accept a charge. If it's more than 4 years old don't trust it because this is what energises the HV relays for the traction battery which is all the clicking you hear when you press start. It also pre-charges the capacitors which reduced contact wear on the relays.

Regarding the cell voltages, 7.97-8.04 is perfectly fine.

You could have cured the problem with oxidization.

Did you re-install the orange service plug in the battery ? please tell me you removed it first ?

As far as I remember, it's a very bad Idea to jump the Prius 12V battery from an ICE.

The 12 battery cold very possibly be dead and won't accept a charge. If it's more than 4 years old don't trust it because this is what energises the HV relays for the traction battery which is all the clicking you hear when you press start. It also pre-charges the capacitors which reduced contact wear on the relays.

Did you re-install the orange service plug in the battery ? please tell me you removed it first ?

hi guys. yes, i removed it first thing (once it was feasible). the car now is in Toyota service for 4 days already and they cannot say what is going on :(. will go and visit them tomorrow as this becoming annoying. thanks a lot for your assistance. will let you know car diagnose results once available. cheers

hi guys. yes, i removed it first thing (once it was feasible). the car now is in Toyota service for 4 days already and they cannot say what is going on :(. will go and visit them tomorrow as this becomes annoying. thanks a lot for your assistance. will let you know car diagnose results once available. cheers

Advertisement