Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Misfire in Passat

Options
  • 21-07-2016 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

The car is a 2008 Passat 2.0 TDI CR. While overtaking in 4th a Big Bang came from under the bonnet and the car has no power and although it can reach 80kmh it will chug and misfire a lot of the way. When I put my foot down there is nothing. Is this the turbo??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

Sounds more like a boost hose has come off.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 squiddy

Sounds more like a boost hose has come off.

Is that a big job?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

Not usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

squiddy wrote: »
    The car is a 2008 Passat 2.0 TDI CR. While overtaking in 4th a Big Bang came from under the bonnet and the car has no power and although it can reach 80kmh it will chug and misfire a lot of the way. When I put my foot down there is nothing. Is this the turbo??

Is it very noisy now? Very loud hissing with lots of black smoke behind? If so, George is correct and it shouldn't be a big fix, unless a pipe has burst, in which case you'll just have a higher price on the work needed in replacing said pipe.

Is it very noisy now? Very loud hissing with lots of black smoke behind? If so, George is correct and it shouldn't be a big fix, unless a pipe has burst, in which case you'll just have a higher price on the work needed in replacing said pipe.

There's no smoke seemingly it's an air intake valve or something like that a light for that is on the dash

• Advertisement

There's no smoke seemingly it's an air intake valve or something like that a light for that is on the dash

I know the one. At list I think.. The valve they're likely referring to is actually a shut-off valve that slams shut when you turn off the ignition, to facilitate a quick, refined engine shut-down. Good few diesels have them now.
    runawayengine.jpg
    They're known - but not notorious, at least - to not open/move properly after a good while, which would definitely affect things like acceleration.

Also very handy at stopping runaways, though not infallible, for the reasons above :o

I know the one. At list I think.. The valve they're likely referring to is actually a shut-off valve that slams shut when you turn off the ignition, to facilitate a quick, refined engine shut-down. Good few diesels have them now.

They're known - but not notorious, at least - to not open/move properly after a good while, which would definitely affect things like acceleration.

Also very handy at stopping runaways, though not infallible, for the reasons above :o

Probably a silly question but would it effect fuel economy also?

Probably a silly question but would it effect fuel economy also?

If it's not opening fully or sticking half way, the restriction to airflow would reduce power,meaning you need to press the accelerator more, so I'd imagine it would to some degree.

There isn't generally a "bang" when they go though, to the best of my knowledge, unless the bang was more the engine simply juddering against the mount when the intake went closed for whatever reason.

Advertisement