Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cracked paint

Options
  • 21-07-2016 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

Hi guys any one know if a main dealership would cover a car if the paint was started to crack. Only bought the car at the March only notice this today I do keep an eye on the body work . It's a 2010 car and was given 6 month warranty. Is this covered under warranty.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

swanie29 wrote: »
    Hi guys any one know if a main dealership would cover a car if the paint was started to crack. Only bought the car at the March only notice this today I do keep an eye on the body work . It's a 2010 car and was given 6 month warranty. Is this covered under warranty.

Cheers

Cracking paint means a repair
    Bring it to a body shop and get an appraisal so you know what your dealing with

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭swanie29

Tigger wrote: »
    Cracking paint means a repair
    Bring it to a body shop and get an appraisal so you know what your dealing with

Does it fall under warranty

• Registered Users Posts: 81,266 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Does it fall under warranty

I think he means your car may have been crashed and then repaired and it's the repaired paint that is cracking.

I think he means your car may have been crashed and then repaired and it's the repaired paint that is cracking.

Nissan told me it was never crashed
    When I was buying it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭JoeA3

You should post a few pics of what you mean. Is the paint cracking right through to the metal or is it lacquer peel? Both would point strongly towards a poor respray job.

There aren't many used cars on dealer forecourts that haven't seen "some" new paint. Nothing wrong with that so long as it's done properly but main dealers often tend to use smart repairers "man in a van with an aerosol can" fellas just to tidy up minor scuffs and scratches... I bet that's what has happened in this case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

It could be cracked paint due to you or someone else bending or denting the bodywork or it could be an old repair.
    Pictures would be good.

mickdw wrote: »
    It could be cracked paint due to you or someone else bending or denting the bodywork or it could be an old repair.
    Pictures would be good.
    Hopefully that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

That doesn't look cracked, it looks like a poorly repaired scratch.

Could a kid of done that with there bike or could the heat have caused it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Could a kid of done that with there bike or could the heat have caused it

There's your answer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Unless you applied the touch up paint (badly), then it's not something that's happened since you bought the car

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭KK4SAM

That looks like a cover up of an existing scratch and the camouflage has aged.
    It would buff up again so it doesn't stick out.
    Normal wear and tear on a six year old car I wouldn't expect there and cover.

Close up

Trying to upload better pic it's to big

• Registered Users Posts: 9,928 ✭✭✭dodzy

Hopefully that helps

My money is on a scratch repair kit from Halfords or similar. Pait was applied over scratch but no clearcoat/laquer. They are useless for anything more than a stone-chip.

dodzy wrote: »
    My money is on a scratch repair kit from Halfords or similar. Pait was applied over scratch but no clearcoat/laquer. They are useless for anything more than a stone-chip.

Should the garage cover this under warranty

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭cgc5483

What does your warranty say. Never seen anything on a used car warranty other than engine and gearbox. As others pointed out a 6 year old car will be bound to have some marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

I doubt it, as others have said, generally warranty is gearbox and engine and even at that can be a fight to get things sorted.

If the warranty covered the paint repair in question, then you could pick out every imperfection on the car and expect it to be covered which just isn't realistic.

cgc5483 wrote: »
    What does your warranty say. Never seen anything on a used car warranty other than engine and gearbox. As others pointed out a 6 year old car will be bound to have some marks.

The fact that this as you guys have said repaired before does not that count for anything. Also could the sun have caused this. I do understand cars of 6 years have a couple of marks on them and i know there is a few there. But this is paint work

That's a touch up paint brush job on a minor scratch, done by either the dealer or the previous owner. It's not really anything to worry about and I doubt it's gotten worse since you bought it or that it will get any worse. Is it possible that it was always like that since you had it and you've only seen it now?
    Unless it's in a really obvious location and it's really annoying you I'd leave it alone... to fix it 100% you'd need to respray the panel.

• Advertisement

The fact that this as you guys have said repaired before does not that count for anything. Also could the sun have caused this. I do understand cars of 6 years have a couple of marks on them and i know there is a few there. But this is paint work

The fact its a repair doesn't really matter, it was obviously a scrap rather than a crash.

I don't think anything is "causing" this. I reckon they polished the sh!t out of it and that's possibly slowly wearing down revealing it more. I wouldn't be too worried about it apart from appearance.

Unfortunately it is something you probably should have spotted when purchasing the car and you could have talked them down slightly.

it was not there at the time of buying the car

It had to have been, I have an exact same repair on my car.

There is no way that is a paint reaction of any type, you can see the different level in original paint and the new paint on top of it.

Any other family members drive the car and may not have been honest?

What may be happening is the repair paint is fading so as time goes on its looking more and more obvious.

dodzy wrote: »

It was. Or someone else is driving it and had a minor "incident", got it touched up and didn't tell you.

I'm assuming the latter scenario is highly unlikely, so yes, it was there when you bought it and you're only seeing it now.

If they had actually done the repair themselves with receipts, and I doubt they have, then possibly.

But under the warranty that came with the car then as previously mentioned no, it wont be covered. The only sure answer you will get is from the garage, nobody here can say for sure.

How? It's not a warranty job :confused:

There's hardly a car on the road that hasn't had some minor paint touch ups. The only problem in this case is that the touch up isn't great. But to fix something like that 100% is a panel respray.

JoeA3 wrote: »
    How? It's not a warranty job :confused:

There's hardly a car on the road that hasn't had some minor paint touch ups. The only problem in this case is that the touch up isn't great. But to fix something like that 100% is a panel respray.
    Fair enough I thought it was just a touch up needed under the garage

• Advertisement

pippip wrote: »
    The fact its a repair doesn't really matter, it was obviously a scrap rather than a crash.

I don't think anything is "causing" this. I reckon they polished the sh!t out of it and that's possibly slowly wearing down revealing it more. I wouldn't be too worried about it apart from appearance.

Unfortunately it is something you probably should have spotted when purchasing the car and you could have talked them down slightly.

I would of notice as there is a scratch in the paint to the right of it so I would of notice it I would of thought

Advertisement