Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any graduate software development positions?

Options
  • 21-07-2016 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi,
    I've just recently graduated and am looking for a graduate/junior software development position. I've already made some applications, but haven't heard much. Anybody know somewhere that's hiring?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Rakish Paddy

I hate to have to say this to a graduate looking for a software development role, but if you go to www.google.ie and type graduate software developer job you'll get loads and loads of results - it seems like pretty much everyone is hiring!

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭14ned

Val3riu5 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I've just recently graduated and am looking for a graduate/junior software development position. I've already made some applications, but haven't heard much. Anybody know somewhere that's hiring?

That's to be expected. You might get a response of yes or no about ten percent of the time, the rest of the time no response.

Most of the replies will be no until you make your CV stand out from every other graduate out there. So get your CV into a position where you'll get invited for interview, then rinse and repeat interviewing until you get enough practice interviewing until you get a foot in the door. Expect to fail at least five to ten interviews before you get one.

Before you ask "how do I make my CV stand out?" please read the many posts of advice in this forum's history. And remember readers decide whether to bin your CV in less than six seconds, and usually only bother reading the first paragraph in your CV. Your CV also needs to stand out both for HR and the engineers, and both have very different criteria.

Niall

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Hi,

Thanks!

Get yourself on Linkedin and fill your profile to the brim.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

Leslie91 wrote: »
    Get yourself on Linkedin and fill your profile to the brim.

And apply for every and any dev job that interests you. Even if you are not sure about one it will still be great interview practice.

MillField wrote: »
    And apply for every and any dev job that interests you. Even if you are not sure about one it will still be great interview practice.

Even once you have twenty years of experience down, it's still wise to take interviews every two years or so to keep your interviewing skills fresh in case you'll suddenly need that skill unexpectedly. One of the multinationals which doesn't mind you doing this on their dime is Google, or at least that's what their recruiters tell me. The two weeks of cramming and practising on whiteboards you have to do to prep for a Google interview kinda sucks though.

Niall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭mightyreds

What I found for graduate positions too, is it takes an age for company's to get back to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

http://www.irishjobs.ie/Graduate-Software-Developer-Jobs

Is a good place to start. While you're looking/waiting for that first job you could be putting together a portfolio of what you've been doing. Get a github account and use it to host code for a pet project, or use it to submit pull requests to other peoples code. Ask people you know if there's small programs that would help them in their day-to-day jobs and write those programs for free (again, put the code in github). Maybe somebody needs a small website.

And include the details of all of this in your job application, it will make you stand out.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 976 ✭✭✭beach_walker

Hi,

Thanks!

I'm sure it varies but it does seem a bit late in the year to be applying for grad roles. So you'll probably see more start popping up in the coming months for next years round. Hopefully you'll get something before then.

Any particular location you're looking at?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭happycoach

Most of the multinationals have graduate programs. Pop onto the website of a company that you'd like to work for and fill up their application form. In the mean time, for interview prep start a pet programming project with some of the latest technologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

also worth noting: http://www.careerzoo.ie/ (October 15th)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Hi,

Thanks!

In all fairness, companies plan ahead longer.
    So they were probably accepting applications before you took your exams.

To stand out from the crowd, you will want to show good college project work, or interesting pet projects you've been working on, ideally in new technologies.

Depending on your inclination, it might be some nice web layer stuff in new frameworks like Angular 2, React etc, or back-end stuff in Spring Data / Hadoop / NoSql databases, or analytics.

That seems to be the 3 big sectors, the web, no sql databases and analytics.

Depending on your inclination, it might be some nice web layer stuff in new frameworks like Angular 2, React etc, or back-end stuff in Spring Data / Hadoop / NoSql databases, or analytics.

That seems to be the 3 big sectors, the web, no sql databases and analytics.

I wouldn't discount fintech/blockchain, cloud orchestration and good old fashioned systems programming which is seeing a real renaissance now Moore's Law has gone linear! It depends on what best suits your personality of course. All are seeing double digit annual growth in contracting day rates. It's a good time to be in tech.

Niall

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭krazyklown

The company I work for are hiring for a few grad roles in our offices in Dublin and Belfast in case they are of interest.

http://www.liberty-it.co.uk/careers/current-vacancies/

Disclaimer: I work there as a developer but won't benefit in any way from them being filled.

Advertisement