Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clone smaller SSD to larger

Options
  • 21-07-2016 12:43pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 334 ✭✭

Built a new rig two months ago and recycled my earlier 5 month old Samsung 250GB SSD from my older machine which had a motherboard failure. I got a great deal on a Samsung 500GB SSD last week in the Amazon Prime sales <€100.

I don't want to go to the trouble of installing Win7 again plus all the software, drivers and migrating data and emails etc. Ideally I just want to Clone everything across but instead I would then have 500GB of space instead of 250.

Any ideas, tips or recommendations would be great, don't mind buying a bit of software if I have to.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Zith

Download the Samsung magician software. It does a great job of cloning and is free (for use with samsung devices at least, not sure about others). It will do exactly what you want and handles the increased size transparently.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I use Clonezilla under usb boot normally so cloning within a system enviornment is excluded. It can also handle increased size transparency but its probably for more advanced users.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

I use Clonezilla under usb boot normally so cloning within a system enviornment is excluded. It can also handle increased size transparency but its probably for more advanced users.

Yeah I have used this previously without fecking the whole thing up, not exactly user friendly but did the job

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 334 ✭✭skywanderer

Zith wrote: »
    Download the Samsung magician software. It does a great job of cloning and is free (for use with samsung devices at least, not sure about others). It will do exactly what you want and handles the increased size transparently.

I ended up using the Samsung Data Migration tool
    http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/download/tools.html

It cloned the 250gb drive with (135gb of Data) to the new 500GB drive in around 20 mins using my USB 3.0 Caddy, it was very fast and efficient. After swapping the hard-drives I then got an error 0xc000000e which I was able to fix using the Windows 7 install disk and "repair". All I had to do then was re-enter my Windows licence and the whole thing took under 45mins.

Thanks for the help.

Advertisement