Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car battery test

Options
  • 21-07-2016 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,738 ✭✭✭

Anybody know of a garage or motor factors that could carry out a battery test in the Leixlip/Lucan area? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Every single mechanic can do this. Just go to whoever is nearest.

Or you can buy a volt meter in your closest motor factors and do it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

biko wrote: »
    Every single mechanic can do this. Just go to whoever is nearest.

Or you can buy a volt meter in your closest motor factors and do it yourself.

If the battery is not completely broken, majority of time it will show correct voltage under no load. It is under stress the flaws are revealed - and you cannot do it with a simple multimeter.

Sure - one can switch all lights and heating, but this is nowhere close to the starting current...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,738 ✭✭✭degsie

grogi wrote: »
    If the battery is not completely broken, majority of time it will show correct voltage under no load. It is under stress the flaws are revealed - and you cannot do it with a simple multimeter.

Sure - one can switch all lights and heating, but this is nowhere close to the starting current...

So I'm assuming that a garage can test for the starting current? Can they also confirm if the battery has bad cells etc?

degsie wrote: »
    So I'm assuming that a garage can test for the starting current? Can they also confirm if the battery has bad cells etc?

Usually a high power resistor under an even bigger radiator to stress-test does the job.

Something like that:
    619YMTPydIS._SL1100_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

OP, maybe you can elaborate a bit on what the issue is with the battery?
    It doesn't start car up or...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,738 ✭✭✭degsie

biko wrote: »
    OP, maybe you can elaborate a bit on what the issue is with the battery?
    It doesn't start car up or...?

Didn't start the other day, had to get a jump start. I was cleaning the car earlier with doors open and radio on for most of the time. I brought if for a short run and the car wouldn't start. I'm trying to figure out if I have a dud battery or did it just drain too much.

PS. It's been starting just fine since.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

grogi wrote: »

Can you not plug in multimeter and try starting the engine?

CiniO wrote: »
    Can you not plug in multimeter and try starting the engine?

If you have long enough arms. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,265 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

degsie wrote: »
    Didn't start the other day, had to get a jump start. I was cleaning the car earlier with doors open and radio on for most of the time. I brought if for a short run and the car wouldn't start. I'm trying to figure out if I have a dud battery or did it just drain too much.

PS. It's been starting just fine since.

Sounds like a battery that is on the way out.
    A good battery would survive radio and parking lights etc being on for a long time.

Advertisement