Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming PC Build

Options
  • 21-07-2016 9:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

How's it going!

Looking to build a gaming PC, Have a few parts that are fairly new that can be used. Looking at the 480 for GPU, need suggestions on finishing build! (Would accept if any part is not up to scratch below.. motherboards a 1155 which isn't ideal for what I wanted but still willing to fire away)

Motherboard: ASRock H61M-DGS Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard

Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

Storage: Samsung 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Power Supply: be quiet! PURE POWER 9 400W 80+ Silver Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

1. What is your budget? €650 is my max on the rest

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Gaming and some small compiling

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? no

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? see above

5. Do you need a monitor? yes

5a. If yes, what size do you need? don't mind

9. When are you purchasing? August

Appreciate it :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

blakeMur25 wrote: »
    How's it going!

Looking to build a gaming PC, Have a few parts that are fairly new that can be used. Looking at the 480 for GPU, need suggestions on finishing build! (Would accept if any part is not up to scratch below.. motherboards a 1155 which isn't ideal for what I wanted but still willing to fire away)

Motherboard: ASRock H61M-DGS Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard

Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

Storage: Samsung 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Power Supply: be quiet! PURE POWER 9 400W 80+ Silver Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

1. What is your budget? €650 is my max on the rest

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Gaming and some small compiling

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? no

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? see above

5. Do you need a monitor? yes

5a. If yes, what size do you need? don't mind

9. When are you purchasing? August

Appreciate it :)

So what's left? A case, processor, GPU and monitor?

I have a similar build just sitting under the desk, waiting on a GPU before giving it to my brother. Picked up an i5 2400 for €50 on adverts a couple of weeks ago. You can stick ivy bridge processors in that motherboard as well (I think I have the exact same one, or a slightly different model), but it may need a bios update if it hasn't been updated previously, which you would need a sandy bridge processor for. Cases really come down to personal preference, but wouldn't go too cheap on it. Good choice in 1080p monitors now, it really comes down to if you want very high refresh rates (100hz +) or if you are happy at 60hz.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

1155 is still 100% for gaming, leave say €100 aside for an i5

RX480 €300
    €50-70 on a good case leaves loads for a decent monitor

• Registered Users Posts: 3 blakeMur25

1155 is still 100% for gaming, leave say €100 aside for an i5

RX480 €300
    €50-70 on a good case leaves loads for a decent monitor

Recommend any CPU in particular?

Recommend any CPU in particular?

Any socket 1155 i5 quad core should do you, although as noted above, it may not work with ivy bridge (3470, 3570 etc.) without a bios update. The best of them are probably the 2400/2500 (sandy bridge) or the 3470/3570 (ivy bridge)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 blakeMur25

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Any socket 1155 i5 quad core should do you, although as noted above, it may not work with ivy bridge (3470, 3570 etc.) without a bios update. The best of them are probably the 2400/2500 (sandy bridge) or the 3470/3570 (ivy bridge)

Cheers!

• Advertisement

Cheers!

Another option, which occasionally come up cheap are the socket 1155 xeons,

This one is pretty much an i5 2400 equivalent

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Intel-SR00G-Xeon-E3-1225-3-1GHz-6MB-Socket-LGA1155-CPU-Processor-Free-Ship-/131883421901?hash=item1eb4dd50cd:g:H1wAAOSwARZXjWqx

Bought an i5 3470 of that seller before, was fine. Would be good option, depending on the price you could get it at, if you are on a budget. No hyperthreading, but it does have some on chip graphics to get you by if you dont have a graphics card yet.

Edit: Its also on the compatibility list for your motherboard

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/H61M-DGS/?cat=CPU

Advertisement