Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Need advice on whether to upgrade car.

Options
  • 20-07-2016 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭

Help here please, have to make a decision on this , so I have a 04 1.7 Opel astra diesel that is just used for work which is just a 15min drive, I used to work an hour away so that's why bought it originally. The car is due its service with a timing belt , I'm on 138000 mileage and then I have the 570 euro in tax in September so I'm looking at spending a grand here. With it being an 04 I could see a rise in my next Insurance so I'm weighing up whether to by a newer car , I'd look at spending about 4k as it's only for work. What would you folk think here, I'm really in 2 minds. The car is decent enough, no real issues with it.
    Oh and we do need 2 cars in the household as I sometimes have to collect the kids after work.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,135 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Upgrading with 4k will only mean you will be back to the same position you are in now in a year or two at most. At the end of the day every car needs to be taxed and service/maintained.

If it were me and the Astra is not giving any trouble I'd just spend the 1k on a new timing belt and tax it.

Advertisement