Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huawei E5186 Aerial - Cable needed?

Options
  • 20-07-2016 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi

Just purchased a Huawei E5186 and I am looking to install an exterior aerial.

It's a new house build, and I had the electrician run a number of CT100 cables (15 mt approx) from the cabinet to chimney (the time this was for TV/Sky only)

Can this cable be used for connecting Router to Aerial ?

Thanks

Mick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭editorsean

For the external antenna, you need to run two 50 Ohm cables, which will need to be terminated with suitable 50 Ohm connectors for the antenna and two SMA connectors for the Huawei E51856. Most external 3G/4G antennas that are sold without cabling have two N-connections. If you go for a wideband LOG antenna, you'll need a pair, one mounted vertically and the second mounted horizontally.

CT100 is 75 Ohm cable, which will cause an impedance mismatch. You'll need 50 Ohm cable, such as RG58. This article gives some advice on the difference between 50 and 75 Ohm cables and connectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭mickg007

Thanks for reply. To be clear, CT100 won't work at all or won't work as well ?
    editorsean wrote: »
    For the external antenna, you need to run two 50 Ohm cables, which will need to be terminated with suitable 50 Ohm connectors for the antenna and two SMA connectors for the Huawei E51856. Most external 3G/4G antennas that are sold without cabling have two N-connections. If you go for a wideband LOG antenna, you'll need a pair, one mounted vertically and the second mounted horizontally.

CT100 is 75 Ohm cable, which will cause an impedance mismatch. You'll need 50 Ohm cable, such as RG58. This article gives some advice on the difference between 50 and 75 Ohm cables and connectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭editorsean

It will work, but not as well as 50 Ohm cable. It's quite technical for me to try explaining (see this article), but basically at each point the impedance mismatches, it will reflect a small portion of the signal causing both attention and noise from the reflections bouncing back and forth along the cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭mickg007

editorsean wrote: »
    It will work, but not as well as 50 Ohm cable. It's quite technical for me to try explaining (see this article), but basically at each point the impedance mismatches, it will reflect a small portion of the signal causing both attention and noise from the reflections bouncing back and forth along the cable.

...Thanks .. Article is quiet technical as well :-)

Advertisement