Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Learning in the UK

Options
  • 20-07-2016 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi guys,

So I was on the tail-end of the driver's license process - I had the theory test, the mandatory lessons and plenty of practice - but the process was punctuated because I had to move to the UK for university.

Does anybody have any idea whether I can continue the process over here or do I need to start fresh again?
    Do I have to apply for a new learner permit in the UK and all that?

Any information or experiences anybody can share would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

HydroBlue wrote: »
    Hi guys,

So I was on the tail-end of the driver's license process - I had the theory test, the mandatory lessons and plenty of practice - but the process was punctuated because I had to move to the UK for university.

Does anybody have any idea whether I can continue the process over here or do I need to start fresh again?
    Do I have to apply for a new learner permit in the UK and all that?

Any information or experiences anybody can share would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Fresh start, basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I think your road experience will help you expedite the process but as above, you'll be starting over from scratch over there. If that's a major ordeal to you, I'd consider trying to pass the test over here. How viable that is for you depends on a lot of factors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭The Young Wan

You'll have to start from scratch I'm afraid. I was in th same boat as you, and a provisional licence is only valid in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

You'll be starting from scratch and to get a UK provisional you will have to send off your passport to the DVLA.

Advertisement