Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Central heating pipes / water heater pipes - noise

Options
  • 20-07-2016 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi all,

Hoping someone can give me a steer here as I'm going stir crazy!

To give a bit of context, I am in a three story townhouse, built within the last 12 years, heated via oil. The hot water tank is on the middle floor. Boiler is on the bottom floor.

Any time the central heating or water heater is put on, there is a noise coming from the pipes. At the start, it is every 3 / 4 seconds, but then goes to every 7 /8 seconds .

The noise actually sounds like a drip of water but there is no visible sign of a leak. I have had a leak detector out but he couldn't find anything either.

The noise sounds like it is coming from the vertical wall or else under the floor on the middle floor - do central pipes run between interior and exterior walls?

It may be that when the pipes are expanding / contracting, that they are knocking against the joists - is there any easy way to get to these behind solid walls or under solid flooring?!

Appreciate the above is relatively vague but anyone with similar experiences or knowledge please let me know!

Many thanks,

G

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Pipes creaking against timber or other materials due to expansion and contraction is not uncommon. Unfortunately the only solution is to open up the area where the noise is in order to identify and remedy the cause.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

GMac1086 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Hoping someone can give me a steer here as I'm going stir crazy!

To give a bit of context, I am in a three story townhouse, built within the last 12 years, heated via oil. The hot water tank is on the middle floor. Boiler is on the bottom floor.

Any time the central heating or water heater is put on, there is a noise coming from the pipes. At the start, it is every 3 / 4 seconds, but then goes to every 7 /8 seconds .

The noise actually sounds like a drip of water but there is no visible sign of a leak. I have had a leak detector out but he couldn't find anything either.

The noise sounds like it is coming from the vertical wall or else under the floor on the middle floor - do central pipes run between interior and exterior walls?

It may be that when the pipes are expanding / contracting, that they are knocking against the joists - is there any easy way to get to these behind solid walls or under solid flooring?!

Appreciate the above is relatively vague but anyone with similar experiences or knowledge please let me know!

Many thanks,

G

Hi G,

Just been in your situation recently and planning to open a new dedicated thraed for my bathroom...it looks like my house / my home has been build by idiots,lunatics with no awareness and any responsability.

Please find below some photos taken last week,when i had to dismantle my whole bathroom due to a WC basin leak and nasty smell.
    Im working in insulating and fixing the leak and do get the piping as a normal respectable tradesman will do today,as for in his own house...:)

What i found...well that mostly may apply to your pipes as well !!!

392599.jpg

392600.jpg

392601.jpg

392602.jpg

392603.jpg

Advertisement