Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Window tint [NCT fail]

Options
  • 20-07-2016 4:07pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So had the car in for NCT today and failed on front driver & passenger windows being too dark so need to get them changed. Rang shades.ie who will remove the tint and put a clear uv film (they don't tint front windows) and Dublin tint who'll remove the tint and put on a lighter one Which is NCT ok but they said it still might fail. Any other recommendations for places in Dublin or would I be better off removing it and re-tinting after the retest? I want to keep a light tint on the front windows.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,134 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Regulations say the tint on front side windows and windscreen needs to be 35% max. If you stick within that you'll be fine but other than that you'll have the hassle of having to remove it at each NCT time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

bazz26 wrote: »
    Regulations say the tint on front side windows and windscreen needs to be 35% max. If you stick within that you'll be fine but other than that you'll have the hassle of having to remove it at each NCT time.

I am pretty sure I already know the answer unfortunately.

That 0.35 is it for absorbance or (1-transmittance)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

grogi wrote: »
    I am pretty sure I already know the answer unfortunately.

That 0.35 is it for absorbance or (1-transmittance)?

Yeah, up to 35% of light can be blocked. Minimum of 65% of light must pass through the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

shietpilot wrote: »
    Yeah, up to 35% of light can be blocked. Minimum of 65% of light must pass through the window.

Unfortunately S.I. No. 422/2011 claims otherwise and opacity of 70% is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I got my car done by shades and it passed the nct no probs ;) They even collected the car and dropped it back since I work locally.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

Unfortunately S.I. No. 422/2011 claims otherwise and opacity of 70% is required.

Strange. This is directly from the NCT manual and also what RSA quotes:
    VkB0lKm.png

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

NCT states 65%

324337DB-6F9C-48EF-A767-FDE878A80CD9_zpsxtz77xmd.jpg

(Disregard the other fails, that was due to someone putting a single element bulb into a double socket, messing up the lights. Haven't a clue who that was......)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

tk123 wrote: »
    I got my car done by shades and it passed the nct no probs ;) They even collected the car and dropped it back since I work locally.

Yeah I gave them a ring but they won't do any sort of tint on the front windows, only a clear uv film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭H.E. Pennypacker

It depends very much on what the manufacturer tint is and then on what the tint film adds. I've had front window tints done by Autoflair and Tint It and sailed through the NCT but for the fronts I got a light tint done for UV protection so it was within limits (from memory fronts were 65%, backs were 30% give or take)

It depends very much on what the manufacturer tint is and then on what the tint film adds. I've had front window tints done by Autoflair and Tint It and sailed through the NCT but for the fronts I got a light tint done for UV protection so it was within limits (from memory fronts were 65%, backs were 30% give or take)

Yeah I'm thinking I'll get an 80% done on the fronts to allow for 10% from factory.

• Advertisement
Advertisement