Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Looking for advise from experienced detailers.

Options
  • 20-07-2016 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

Hi Guys I have recently became interested in car detailing thanks to this forum, I was wondering if ye could advise me on what products to get as a sort of "beginner pack" I don't want to get tricked into spending money on certain products just because it has a good brand name. Also if ye could let me know what websites sell detailing products at a good price that would be a great help. If ye need anymore details please ask,
    Appreciate any help ye can provide.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

My advice is to get the basics right - no point jumping in the deep end and getting a machine polisher, if you havent got the products to maintain the finish you've worked hard to achieve.

2 Buckets, and wash with the 'Two Bucket Method'
    Good Wash Mitt
    Good Drying Towel
    Shampoo that offers good slickness
    Wheel Cleaner
    Wheel brush(es)

That will mean you can keep the car looking well with a weekly wash.
    After that you can look into decontaminating the paintwork, to enhance the appearance further - de-tar, de-iron and claying.
    Taking it a step further again, would be polishing / correction.

But the number one thing to learn when starting out is to get a good wash routine.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭crusha101

Curran wrote: »
    My advice is to get the basics right - no point jumping in the deep end and getting a machine polisher, if you havent got the products to maintain the finish you've worked hard to achieve.

2 Buckets, and wash with the 'Two Bucket Method'
    Good Wash Mitt
    Good Drying Towel
    Shampoo that offers good slickness
    Wheel Cleaner
    Wheel brush(es)

That will mean you can keep the car looking well with a weekly wash.
    After that you can look into decontaminating the paintwork, to enhance the appearance further - de-tar, de-iron and claying.
    Taking it a step further again, would be polishing / correction.

But the number one thing to learn when starting out is to get a good wash routine.

Thanks for the solid advise , i found some autoglym shampoo and and unbranded wheel cleaner in my fathers shed a few weeks ago so il start off with that , i bought turtle wax de tarer as when i bought my car there was a lot of tar on the wheel arches and boot , some black trimmings on my car are faded , is there any product you would recommend to restore the black ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

There are a few options - there are the traditional type products. Water or gel based trim dressings. Water based dressings often dont offer great durabilty. Gel dressings can be oily / greasy and as a result sticky or very shiny. But there are some good products out there. CarPro PERL for example.
    Then there is nano coatings which do a great job darkening, and not leaving an oily / greasy finish, and durable for over a year. CarPro DLUX or Gtechniq C4 would be ones to look at.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

crusha101 wrote: »
    Also if ye could let me know what websites sell detailing products at a good price that would be a great help. If ye need anymore details please ask,Appreciate any help ye can provide.

http://www.detailingshed.com/ is probably the best place to buy products in the country. I believe Curran is associated with it, speaking from experience they provide a fantastic range of products with a top notch service.

Be warned though, it's an extremely dangerous website....you'll end up spending all your money there:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭PGE1970

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    http://www.detailingshed.com/ is probably the best place to buy products in the country. I believe Curran is associated with it, speaking from experience they provide a fantastic range of products with a top notch service.

Be warned though, it's an extremely dangerous website....you'll end up spending all your money there:D

+1 as above.

Curran will look after you. Get the right products from a man who knows his detailing. This will save you in the long run and avoids dropping a fortune in well known retail stores that don't know their valeting from their detailing.

Curran will even tailor his advice to the brand of car and colour of paint.

My last batch is now dwindling so I will be back to him soon myself!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement