Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop needed for Computer Sci student

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭eoinzy2000

Pretty good spec. I would imagine youd want a dedicated graphics card for video editing though, so thats the only downside i see. That price is good too.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Graphics card isn't needed as much as you'd think for rendering video. It's more CPU power that you would want to focus on.

As for the rest, the spec is decent, but I would want a 1080p full HD screen which I presume this model does not have. It makes life a lot easier when coding or trying to split your screen across multiple tasks.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭manutd

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

manutd wrote: »

Okay for what it is I guess. Not sure how they can say a Full HD screen which the resolution is only 1366. In my book if its not 1080 then it's not Full HD.
    4GB RAM is a bit paltry given the initial price on the laptop. A SSD would be preferable if you weren't after a lot of storage space

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

mordeith wrote: »
    Okay for what it is I guess. Not sure how they can say a Full HD screen which the resolution is only 1366. In my book if its not 1080 then it's not Full HD.
    4GB RAM is a bit paltry given the initial price on the laptop. A SSD would be preferable if you weren't after a lot of storage space

Yeah the display is the same res that laptops have come with for the last 8 years. It really should be 1080p or nothing at this stage. The RAM is laughable. But the processor is surprisingly good given the rest.

• Advertisement

Yeah the display is the same res that laptops have come with for the last 8 years. It really should be 1080p or nothing at this stage. The RAM is laughable. But the processor is surprisingly good given the rest.

Only a 4th gen i7 mind you. Still nothing to be sneezed at though.

Good spot! I was googling the model number and came across some sites selling what appeared to be the same laptop with a 5th gen i7. I see now the ad has the following:
    HD Graphics 4400

This laptop having a DVD/CD drive is a bit baffling to me. Surely it's not something that is used these days... I haven't had a need for a disc drive in years at least.

This laptop having a DVD/CD drive is a bit baffling to me. Surely it's not something that is used these days... I haven't had a need for a disc drive in years at least.

Given the specs I'm guessing the machine itself might be a few years old especially as it ships with Windows 8 (is 10 not standard now?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 egildea

not amazingly good value. Theres a good dell i5 processor with a 7200rpm 500gb hard drive. with 4gb for €20 more. still not outstanding value.

Heres one from Komplett that's a bit better??? Wont let me post a link but go into komplett dot ie and look for laptops. There an i5 8gb 256ssd there for 599 or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭eoinzy2000

Good spot! I was googling the model number and came across some sites selling what appeared to be the same laptop with a 5th gen i7. I see now the ad has the following:
    HD Graphics 4400

I got a laptop recently with a optical drive. ended up buying a HD caddy, taking optical drive out and replacing it with a 1tb HDD. Better if it came with that in the first place I suppose!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement