Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Renting a car for the first time

Options
  • 20-07-2016 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi

I'm renting a car for the first and I'm just looking for some help in doing so. Ive done some research and understand that you need to present a credit card in your own name to complete the booking as apparently they wont accept a debit card. The issue is that I have a credit card but haven't physically used it in a number of years so I cant remember the pin code (which has probably been for the best). Ive applied for a new pin code to be sent out but I wont have it in time for Friday.

I'm booking online through Aer Lingus which requires that you payment in advance, which is fine. However when presenting the card at the car rental desk for them to take a deposit or to put a certain amount on hold, do they just take your card details (i.e card owner, card number and 3 digit security code) or do you need to put your card into the machine and for you enter the pin?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Donnelly117

DOCDUDE wrote: »
    Hi

I'm renting a car for the first and I'm just looking for some help in doing so. Ive done some research and understand that you need to present a credit card in your own name to complete the booking as apparently they wont accept a debit card. The issue is that I have a credit card but haven't physically used it in a number of years so I cant remember the pin code (which has probably been for the best). Ive applied for a new pin code to be sent out but I wont have it in time for Friday.

I'm booking online through Aer Lingus which requires that you payment in advance, which is fine. However when presenting the card at the car rental desk for them to take a deposit or to put a certain amount on hold, do they just take your card details (i.e card owner, card number and 3 digit security code) or do you need to put your card into the machine and for you enter the pin?

Thanks
    I assume your debit card is VISA, surely that's as valid as any other credit card? I rented a car in Stanstead (from Hertz) with my VIDA Debit last year with no issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

DOCDUDE wrote: »
    Hi

Thanks

Is it embossed? If yes, it should be fine.

I've rented with my Ulster Debit Visa numerous times without any issue, even in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 DOCDUDE

grogi wrote: »
    Is it embossed? If yes, it should be fine.

I've rented with my Ulster Debit Visa numerous times without any issue, even in Ireland.

Yes its an embossed card/

I assumed that a debit card would be accepted considering that its all Visa but when I was reading through the the terms and conditions, it stated that Visa debit cards are not accepted. That's stated in the T&C's on both Aer Lingus.com and rentalcars.com.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Many (not all) rental companies won't accept debit cards. There are different laws and agreements with credit v debit. In some cases car rental companies have an agreement to be able to overcharge credit cards in the case of damage to the car. Anytime I've rented I've always needed the PIN.

My advice would be to try and book directly with a company that accepts debit cards. However be prepared for a huge amount of money to be put on hold in your account! Depending on how long you've had a licence etc. be aware that licence requirements might become an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭XrayGolf

I have rented through various car companies over the last few years in a number of countries and there's no one answer to your question as each rental desk will be different. Take Avis for example (the company I rent with the most), at one desk, I was charged to the credit card on file (the one I used to book with) without needing to show them the card, another desk was a chip and pin machine and at another Avis desk they took my card and manually typed the number into a machine.

I've used my visa debit on many occasions with various companies without a problem, they just put a deposit plus your rental fees on hold till you return the vechicle so you can't spend/withdraw it.

Your best bet is to give them a call, explain your situation and find out if they would accept a visa debit instead of a credit card. Also, it may also arise suspicions if you arrive at a desk and claim not to know the pin (although you have genuine reasons not everyone does).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Anjobe

...Anytime I've rented I've always needed the PIN...

That's interesting. I rent often in the UK mainly with Hertz and Avis, and I have never had to use my card PIN.
    ...However be prepared for a huge amount of money to be put on hold in your account!...

They won't block funds on your card if you take the super CDW option to reduce your liability for any damage to the car to zero. This is usually quite expensive though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 DOCDUDE

XrayGolf wrote: »
    I have rented through various car companies over the last few years in a number of countries and there's no one answer to your question as each rental desk will be different. Take Avis for example (the company I rent with the most), at one desk, I was charged to the credit card on file (the one I used to book with) without needing to show them the card, another desk was a chip and pin machine and at another Avis desk they took my card and manually typed the number into a machine.

I've used my visa debit on many occasions with various companies without a problem, they just put a deposit plus your rental fees on hold till you return the vechicle so you can't spend/withdraw it.

Your best bet is to give them a call, explain your situation and find out if they would accept a visa debit instead of a credit card. Also, it may also arise suspicions if you arrive at a desk and claim not to know the pin (although you have genuine reasons not everyone does).

Thanks for your advice, I'm just going to call them and ask them what their procedures are. The last thing I would want is to book it, make the payment for the rental itself online and then get to desk and encounter issues about placing a deposit on the credit card..wouldn't be the best start to the holiday

Anjobe wrote: »
    That's interesting. I rent often in the UK mainly with Hertz and Avis, and I have never had to use my card PIN.

I almost exclusively use Enterprise to be fair.
    They won't block funds on your card if you take the super CDW option to reduce your liability for any damage to the car to zero. This is usually quite expensive though.

That reminds me! Personally - as I rent fairly frequently - I have excess insurance. I highly recommend it OP as with having your own Sat Nav.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

I rented from Europcar in Dublin earlier this year, and they've done preauth on a credit card which required me to enter the pin number.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Just ask them at the desk to put it through so that you sign instead of use your pin. It's up to you if you want to do it that way.

And if they they say something about requiring a pin, then tell them that's baloney, as there are lots of credit cards (US, Austrian for example) that don't have chip and pin so need to be signed for at all times anyway.

Relax and enjoy the holiday. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,881 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

dar83 wrote: »
    Just ask them at the desk to put it through so that you sign instead of use your pin. It's up to you if you want to do it that way.

And if they they say something about requiring a pin, then tell them that's baloney, as there are lots of credit cards (US, Austrian for example) that don't have chip and pin so need to be signed for at all times anyway.

Signing puts the risk on the vendor, PIN puts the risk on the consumer. A vendor would be foolish to accept a signature on a chip and pin card.

This is absolutely incorrect I'm afraid.

Once a card has a PIN the onus is on the cardholder to prove a card has been used fraudulently. In the case of a signature the onus is on the retailer to show the card was used by the cardholder. While some discretion is possible in the pub you've been going to for twenty years, an employee of a manager of a franchise which has set policies isn't going to exercise any.

I've never been declined the signature option even when I have requested it myself. You guys need to remember he is traveling and will have ID on him, which is all they need to ask for to clarify who he is and that he is legitimate.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Roscoe P Coltrane

I have been shopping around a bit lately renting in london. Enterprise only charge £200 deposit on debit card, refunded within 3 days. Easirent do the cheapest CDW I have seen- £25 per day rental & fully comp incl. I think ryanair provide the cheapest insurance, but the website claims credit card only, even though you are renting through companies that accept debit cards

• Registered Users Posts: 25,340 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If you book and pay online, they don't need the CC when you collect the keys at the desk, just your driver's licence and (in an airport, usually) your passport. Sometimes they ask to swipe the card to verify that it's the same card as was used for the booking but you don't need the PIN for that as there is no payment involved.

He would need to pay for everything at the time of booking, otherwise the PIN will be needed at the desk to pay for the extras.

I've never been declined the signature option even when I have requested it myself. You guys need to remember he is traveling and will have ID on him, which is all they need to ask for to clarify who he is and that he is legitimate.

Bet your holiday plans on it?

It's not a case of they can't do it, the chances are - in a country where chip and pin is ubiquitous and coming from another country where it is ubiquitous - they're going to say no. It's simply not worth the hassle if the person then decides to query the charge.

coylemj wrote: »
    If you book and pay online, they don't need the CC when you collect the keys at the desk, just your driver's licence and (in an airport, usually) your passport. Sometimes they ask to swipe the card to verify that it's the same card as was used for the booking but you don't need the PIN for that as there is no payment involved.

I've an account with Enterprise, I always pay in advance, I've always had to present the card and pop in the pin. Granted I have my own insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Many (not all) rental companies won't accept debit cards. There are different laws and agreements with credit v debit. In some cases car rental companies have an agreement to be able to overcharge credit cards in the case of damage to the car. Anytime I've rented I've always needed the PIN.

My advice would be to try and book directly with a company that accepts debit cards. However be prepared for a huge amount of money to be put on hold in your account! Depending on how long you've had a licence etc. be aware that licence requirements might become an issue.

dont point out that its a debit card and most of the time they won't notice. A lot of companies will pre-authorise 200-2000 euro on the card depending on the car. Once you have the funds available this will complete just fine.

€1300 there in Madeira for a fecking Corsa! That said given the bloody thing hardly ever got out of second/third I'm not surprised they take huge deposits, expecting the thing to come back with no clutch!

Bet your holiday plans on it?

It's not a case of they can't do it, the chances are - in a country where chip and pin is ubiquitous and coming from another country where it is ubiquitous - they're going to say no. It's simply not worth the hassle if the person then decides to query the charge.

Well I've done it before, without problems... so I'm not sure what else to say to you on that. :)

Generally, I have no problems remembering my pins and have multiple methods of payment prepared so it's not an issue for me, but I did have one card at one point where for some odd reason my brain just didn't ever want to remember the pin, so whenever it was a situation where I was tired or stressed etc... I'd always ask to sign instead. It was never a problem, oddly enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I hired for the first time this year, had to present my card, but dont remember if had to enter my pin. It was pre authorised for a £500-600 deposit though, and was advised on time of booking to have this amount available for credit.

Was also told to bring an original utility bill and CC statement. Neither of which were asked for though at the desk. Only other thing of note was taking my picture, and a copy of my driver licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Anjobe

I have been shopping around a bit lately renting in london. Enterprise only charge £200 deposit on debit card, refunded within 3 days. Easirent do the cheapest CDW I have seen- £25 per day rental & fully comp incl. I think ryanair provide the cheapest insurance, but the website claims credit card only, even though you are renting through companies that accept debit cards

I wouldn't advise taking the rental companies super CDW option, as insurance for the CDW excess can be obtained far cheaper elsewhere. It is just an option if having a large amount blocked on your card account is going to be a problem. Hertz block the whole CDW excess, which I think was £1000 on my last couple of rentals.
    coylemj wrote: »

He would need to pay for everything at the time of booking, otherwise the PIN will be needed at the desk to pay for the extras.

Different rental companies and perhaps even different locations must have different policies. I have never had to enter my card PIN at the desk, even when choosing extras (car upgrade, fuel purchase etc) that were not prepaid.

Advertisement