Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Navigation App with Turn by turn voice directions

Options
  • 20-07-2016 9:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Im wondering has anyone experience building this.

I've used the Google Directions and Google Maps APIs and they work great. But in their terms and conditions you cannot build a navigation app out of it.

Im assuming what I would do is use the directions API and then use some sort of text to speech service.

I know someone who is looking to build a sort of bespoke navigation app (just some set routes and nothing more) and Im finding myself telling them it cant be done (at least without spending a fortune on another map service like HERE).

I also looked at an app called Rungo who definitely use Google maps and this has voice directions navigation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

Apps I've used are Navmii and Mapquest. If you want to develop your own, perhaps using Openstreetmaps would be a better solution than Google's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

Check OsmAnd - it's GPLv3 licence IIRC, so you can modify it to your needs.

Advertisement