Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roof window with slate effect cladding ?

Options
  • 20-07-2016 9:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Does anyone have any experience fitting Fakro roof windows (similar to velux) with Slate effect roof cladding ?
    Basically I have a low pitch roof , I'm using slate effect cladding and I'm putting in 3 roof windows.
    The pitch is pushing all the limits it's 16 degrees, 15 degrees is the minimum for both the cladding and the window/rooflite.
    So from the bit of research I have done, I was of the understanding that the slate flashing would work with the cladding, however the cladding manufacturer mentioned something about led soakers to be used with the window flashing ?
    Can anyone explain step by step how this is done ? I am a carpenter but never had to fit a velux/roof lite in the past so this is a bit of new territory for me.
    Any in-put is appreciated ! thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Before getting into the detail too much can you explain bit more about the project: is it an extension, a new house, a cow byre or what?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 mickell

It's an extension to the back for a semi-de, bog standard construction. 6m x 4m.
    Lean-to-roof will come in just under the first floor window cill.

Thanks, well then you need to follow the guide lines from both the window folk and the cladding folk as if you don't and there is a problem, they are probably your house insurance will walk away.
    If you google images for lead soakers you will see how they work.

Velux windows are not hard to fit, I am not a chippie but I have done many of them, the flashing kits are easy to follow/install so maybe down load a copy for say normal slate and then blend in the lead soakers

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

You mentioned the word 'effect'

What 'effect' have you on your existing house?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Will the window work at a low pitch
    What's the pitch of the roof and what's the lowest allowable pitch for the window
    Some manufactures have a certain flashing for roof sheet material others you use the tile flashing and improvise with some lead

If the pitch is to low
    You'll have to raise the pitch of the window by forming a raised curb for the window.
    Personally I'd be wary of fitting a roof window close to its limits.
    Appoliges only read the op post again and seen the details still asleep !!!
    Personally I wouldn't fit it at such tolerances especially if it's your first one.
    The apron flashing is the one that causes the problems with low pitches. Regardless of what the guideline say I'd be staying above 21 degrees.

• Advertisement

Cheers all for the replies so far, I'm afraid "we only move forward" on this project, I have started the cladding and the roof windows are in place, I spoke to both with the roof supplier and cladding supplier, both tell me the slate flashing will work, but I still can't locate guidelines on line, so again if anyone knows step by step , starting from the bottom flashing and working your up the window , that would be much appreciated.

Well we only move forward when we get more useful information.
    We still have no idea what
    1. the roof from the roof supplier looks like
    2. the cladding from the cladding supplier looks like
    3. What the window looks like.
    4. What you mean by slate flashing

Get to 50 posts and then post some pictures

OK, apologies, I thought it was fairly clear...
    its slate effect cladding on a 12x50mm battern on felt , all resting on a 7x2 rafter.
    - Cladding- 6.9m lenghts by 300mm wide with a "click-in" system
    Window is optilight 780 x 1180 center pivot.
    And the slate flashing is the standard flashing the optilight window is supplied with. (you have the option of slate or tile flashing when purchasing)

The cladding manufacturer has just replied to inform me - Tile flashing is what they should have advised !
    Hopefully this will clear it all up, thanks for everyone's time

Advertisement