Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance, Tax, NCT - what order?

Options
  • 19-07-2016 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭

My neighbour bought a car with no tax or NCT. It started a discussion because you can't drive without insurance & a valid NCT is a condition of the insurance. So how do you get it NCT'd ?

What is the order for getting Insurance, NCT & Tax ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

When I moved to Ireland a couple years ago, I bought a car and did insurance first, then tax, then NCT because the car had about a month left on the previous cert. Insurance first, always, because even without tax and NCT, someone needs to be responsible in case of harm, and because you can't pay your tax without proof of insurance. NCT last because you can't drive to have it tested without insurance and tax and the testers would probably refuse to test it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

His insurers say that he must have a valid NCT.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

Discodog wrote: »
    His insurers say that he must have a valid NCT.

You're right, sorry, I missed that. Ugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,264 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Always insurance first if you're to drive it yourself rather than have someone who's own policy will cover them to deliver/collect it for you. Insurance can be done over the phone/internet in minutes.

alias no.9 wrote: »
    Always insurance first if you're to drive it yourself rather than have someone who's own policy will cover them to deliver/collect it for you. Insurance can be done over the phone/internet in minutes.

But without an NCT he isn't insured.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Is there a grace period with insurance where nct must be produced within X number of days?

Senna wrote: »
    Is there a grace period with insurance where nct must be produced within X number of days?

Yes 14 days which barely allows for a retest :) But it clearly states that a valid NCT is a condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,264 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Talk to the insurance company, there's no other way around it save having a garage pick it up on your behalf to get it tested for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

Yes he is.

Yes he is.

The T&Cs says otherwise. There is no mention of cover to enable him to get an NCT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

The T&Cs says otherwise. There is no mention of cover to enable him to get an NCT.

He would be covered if the nct ran out during a policy, but insurance could cancel policy if nct isn't produced at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

I'm open to correction from an expert but - An insurance company might well decline your claim if you don't have an NCT but they can't decline the claim of the vehicle or person you hit, so you would be insured but it wouldn't do you any good personally.

And once a policy of insurance (motor) is entered into it can only be voided by informing the insured by registered post with notice. The policy of motor insurance stays in place until it is revoked by the company under compulsory insurance regulations.

I'm open to correction from an expert but - An insurance company might well decline your claim if you don't have an NCT but they can't decline the claim of the vehicle or person you hit, so you would be insured but it wouldn't do you any good personally.

Pretty much yup,

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

You don't need NCT to insure car (read each insurers T&C just in case)*
    You need insurance to tax
    You need tax to be on public roads and drive to NCT

*several companies may say they won't cover you if you drive to the nct centre without nct, and you have a collision

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭yannakis

Had the same story when imported my car 3 years ago. Tax is the smallest of your problems, but NCT and insurance create an infinite loop :rolleyes:

You have 2 options:
    - Drive to NCT uninsured. Illegal - if you get stopped, you're in trouble with the law.
    - Lie to your insurance about having a valid NCT. Not illegal, since your insurance contract is based on your statement and not on actual documents. However, from my understanding they will not cover you if something happens before you pass NCT.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Tow it to NCT Centre, get NCT, get insured, simples.
    By tow I mean on a trailer, I'm not sure the legality of towing with a towing bar or that, technically is it on the road so should be taxed? what about the yokes that go under two of the wheels, you must be ok with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,875 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

biko wrote: »
    You need tax to be on public roads and drive to NCT

You can't drive to the NCT centre with an expired NCT, unless it came from an island, but you can drive home if it fails! You need a car transporter to get it to the NCT.

More sensibly people should stop buying cars without an NCT.

Advertisement