Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car window opened by thieves.

Options
  • 19-07-2016 5:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭

OK I'm baffled by this one.

My son came out to his 2010 Laguna this morning to find the drivers window fully down, as in, the glass was fully inside the door. His sunglasses and loose change were taken. He's 100% positive it was closed when he left it last night. He's very fussy about that sort of thing, so I believe him that the window was closed. The door was still locked.

Under normal conditions the window can't be opened unless the engine is running. Even having the ignition on doesn't allow the window to be opened.

How did they get the window open?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I know VAGs can do this if you sit on the remote but it also unlocks the doors in the process.

Strange one alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭KrakityJones

Any chance the electrics had gone funny and he hadn't noticed? I've a megane (older) and at the moment the drivers window regulator is playing up. If I double click the lock it's meant to close the window if open but at the moment if I do that it tries to close it (whether closed already or not), and then opens itself - so I have to be careful when locking the car to only click the fob once.

Maybe the thieves just spotted the window was open already and helped themselves as opposed to opening it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,587 ✭✭✭tossy

Moire than likely the window wasn't closed or the window dropped due to a problem. I can't see thieves having some key fob replicator that they would use to rob some spare change and Sunglasses.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,186 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I've seen Meganes with the window failing overnight and left fully down in the mornings, regulator/electrical fault each time for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭corglass

The weather is warm. Had he opened the window on the drive home?

My guess is he left it open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭VeVeX

Any chance the electrics had gone funny and he hadn't noticed? I've a megane (older) and at the moment the drivers window regulator is playing up. If I double click the lock it's meant to close the window if open but at the moment if I do that it tries to close it (whether closed already or not), and then opens itself - so I have to be careful when locking the car to only click the fob once.

Maybe the thieves just spotted the window was open already and helped themselves as opposed to opening it?

Electrics gone funny in a Renault? Get out of here!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 44 aaron77a

Falcon L wrote: »

My son came out to his 2010 Laguna this morning to find the drivers window fully down, as in, the glass was fully inside the door. His sunglasses and loose change were taken. He's 100% positive it was closed when he left it last night. He's very fussy about that sort of thing, so I believe him that the window was closed. The door was still locked.

Under normal conditions the window can't be opened unless the engine is running. Even having the ignition on doesn't allow the window to be opened.

Nah man he left the window open I know people who used to steal cars I know all the tricks it's also strange the first time this happened is in a heat wave, he left the window open.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,355 ✭✭✭ofcork

I've seen Meganes with the window failing overnight and left fully down in the mornings, regulator/electrical fault each time for that.

A girl i knew had one drove over a bump in the road and all 4 windows fell down!!

I might take that as a possibility if it wasn't a heat wave when this happened

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

aaron77a wrote: »

Nah man he left the window open I know people who used to steal cars I know all the tricks it's also strange the first time this happened is in a heat wave, he left the window open.
    He lives in a heatwave. This happened in the south of Spain. His window is normally closed and the aircon blasting, especially this time of year. Having the window open just doesn't happen.

His parking is just off a main road and he is normally very careful as there are dodgy Moroccans everywhere. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Sunglasses and loose change? I'd say he got way lightly. Lucky man, whatever the reason for the window being open...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Steve wrote: »
    I know VAGs can do this if you sit on the remote but it also unlocks the doors in the process.

Strange one alright.

My car does the same, or if you just happen to hold in the button. Pressing the button again will lock the doors again, but the windows wont close unless you hold the button.

Could the OP have done something similar unknowingly?

Mint Sauce wrote: »

Strange one alright.

My car does the same, or if you just happen to hold in the button. Pressing the button again will lock the doors again, but the windows wont close unless you hold the button.

Could the OP have done something similar unknowingly?
    The car doesn't have total closure. The remote doesn't control the windows at all. As it's a modern Renault, there are no electrical gremlins. He hasn't had a single electrical - or any - issue with the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,264 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Strange one alright.

Doors will relock if not opened within a certain timeframe

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

The car doesn't have total closure. The remote doesn't control the windows at all. As it's a modern Renault, there are no electrical gremlins. He hasn't had a single electrical - or any - issue with the car.

Not suggesting an electrics issue. But then I dont realise my remote controlled the windows till I fully opened them by accident.

Dude He left it open no doubt, was this your car by any chance?

For some reason I have a very strong belief this is your car

aaron77a wrote: »
    For some reason I have a very strong belief this is your car

You'd be wrong. He drives a 2010 laguna estate. Up to a couple of weeks ago I drove a 2008 laguna hatchback. He rang me this morning asking if I knew how this could have been done, as I know the laguna well.

Are you sure the car doesn't have total closure? We had it on our Scenic II, hard to believe a newer generation of a model higher up in the range wouldn't have it.

alias no.9 wrote: »

Are you sure the car doesn't have total closure? We had it on our Scenic II, hard to believe a newer generation of a model higher up in the range wouldn't have it.
    I'm not 100% his 2010 doesn't. But I'm 100% sure my top spec 2008 didn't have it.

• Advertisement

I'm not 100% his 2010 doesn't. But I'm 100% sure my top spec 2008 didn't have it.

My wife would say the Scenic didn't have it but it did. It was a double press of the lock button IIRC rather than the press and hold on some other cars.

alias no.9 wrote: »

My wife would say the Scenic didn't have it but it did. It was a double press of the lock button IIRC rather than the press and hold on some other cars.
    I tried it every way with my laguna. I remember being a bit pissed off it didn't do the total closure thing. :)

Advertisement