Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT centre for posh cars

Options
  • 19-07-2016 11:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭

Where do all the posh cars in this country get tested. Lambo's, Astons, Veyrons, Maybachs and so on? They surely don't go to regular NCT centres because they're far too posh for that.

I reckon there a special test centre on Sallybrooknogginbury Road, Dublin 4 with a long driveway and a massive victorian mansion at the end with one test lane in the middle.
    All the staff there wear expensive black suits and have perfect hair and on a day like today they'd be wearing a €1000+ pair of sunglasses to boot. Ya show up there with your Veyron and one of these lads starts calling you sir, drapes a clean towel over the seat before he sits in and takes your car to the test lane

While your car is being tested you strip off and jump into a hot tub and throw back a few complementary mocktails while you talk sh1te about the stock market, your other cars and bemoan the Brexit. A girlie does the rounds with plates of nibbles and tells you when your car is done. If you don't like hot tubs you can get a massage and there's a bar for all the people who come along but aren't driving. Anyone here ever been to this test centre?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

I reckon there's a posh NCT centre just outside Ballygoaskmearse in Longford :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

Posh people have cars that are too new to be NCT tested!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

shietpilot wrote: »
    Posh people have cars that are too new to be NCT tested!

Most do but they still need VRT inspections and ya can't be taking a '12 Veyron or Ferrari to the same test centre used by commoners. The interior would smell funny after and the testers would get grease on the seats

Most do but they still need VRT inspections and ya can't be taking a '12 Veyron or Ferrari to the same test centre used by commoners. The interior would smell funny after and the testers would get grease on the seats

No posh person in Dublin (reg snobbery capital of the world) is going to be seen in a 12 reg! Sure thats a double digit reg, triple is the new game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Thought I was in AH there for a moment. Looks like someone fecked around in school and now can't afford a Porsche so nobody should have one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Do the owners leave €5,000 in the ashtray instead of €50?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Anyone here ever been to this test centre?
    It's the butler's job.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

My Tipo is booked in for next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭pajo1981

Posh folk drive Renaults these days.

pajo1981 wrote: »
    Posh folk drive Renaults these days.

Dacia Dusters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

The trick is to get a new one before it needs an NCT ;)

D3V!L wrote: »
    The trick is to get a new one before it needs an NCT ;)

Sure with enough money in the bank it's probably quicker to buy a new car than to go through an NCT test.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Most of the ultra high end stuff like new ferraris and lambos stay on uk plates.

Take a Lambo aventador as an example.

240k sterling or so, after conversion closer to 300k euros vrt is gonna be the guts of 100k.

Cheaper for them to buy a flat in some cheap part of the uk for 40k sterling and not have to register the car as Irish

I hate this country sometimes.

Most of the ultra high end stuff like new ferraris and lambos stay on uk plates.

240k sterling or so, after conversion closer to 300k euros vrt is gonna be the guts of 100k.

Cheaper for them to buy a flat in some cheap part of the uk for 40k sterling and not have to register the car as Irish

The guy who is organising the Dublin Cars & Coffee events is running his Lambo on UK plates :rolleyes:

In the UK the MOT (NCT equivalent) is done in garages so they probably do it as part of the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Pataman

You cant fix stupid!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

Not possible, your legal residence is what matters. If you go declaring yourself legally resident in the United Kingdom you'll have all sorts of problems with Social Security and Taxes.

I.E. Your job, your work, your home and your family then your 'ties' are in Ireland.

Same as in the Netherlands, you can't just have an apartment in Germany, register your car there and drive on.

redcup342 wrote: »
    Not possible, your legal residence is what matters. If you go declaring yourself legally resident in the United Kingdom you'll have all sorts of problems with Social Security and Taxes.

I.E. Your job, your work, your home and your family then your 'ties' are in Ireland.

Same as in the Netherlands, you can't just have an apartment in Germany, register your car there and drive on.

You can if you own a car rental company there (for example) :p

You can if you own a car rental company there (for example) :p

Even if the car is leased, borrowed or rented you can't drive it in the Republic.

redcup342 wrote: »
    Even if the car is leased, borrowed or rented you can't drive it in the Republic.

So you're saying these lads are driving them illegally?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

They obviously just send a couple of crates of vintage wine to the dude at the top of the NCT every year. Shiny new NCT cert's in the post for all their high end bling mobiles. Obviously!

• Advertisement

So you're saying these lads are driving them illegally?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭mittimitti

spotted an 2006 aston martin vantage in greenhills nct

• Registered Users Posts: 25,341 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I have seen the odd NI registration plate but have hardly ever seen a GB-registered Ferrari or Lambo in Ireland. Two things militate against it (1) the owner would have to mix with the common folk on the ferry crossing and (2) the excise people here would very quickly pull you over to check if you were a bona fide UK resident.

The lack of boot space in those cars makes them completely impractical to bring over here for a couple of weeks so trying to claim that you're driving around Eire on holidays wouldn't wash with an empty and tiny boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭daithi7

coylemj wrote: »
    I have seen the odd NI registration plate but have hardly ever seen a GB-registered Ferrari or Lambo in Ireland. Two things militate against it (1) the owner would have to mix with the common folk on the ferry crossing and (2) the excise people here would very quickly pull you over to check if you were a bona fide UK resident.

The lack of boot space in those cars makes them completely impractical to bring over here for a couple of weeks so trying to claim that you're driving around Eire on holidays wouldn't wash with an empty and tiny boot.

Where is this place called Eire???

Is it beside timbuktu? Or nellies room behind the wallpaper?? And does it have posh NCT centres there, with hot tubs and butlers???

How wonderful!

Do the owners leave €5,000 in the ashtray instead of €50?

No, they leave a packet of wet wipes!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

I believe If you're extremely particular about your car or it has some idiosyncrasies , you are allowed accompany the tester through the test , by request.

However a lot of people who own Lambos and Ferraris don't give a curse about mere machines .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Yep, anything fancy I spot around Ballsbridge / Grand Canal on my lunchtime walks is usually on UK plates; The only exception I can think about is an AMG C63 I've seen parked up a couple of times (141 reg, if I recall correctly).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    Yep, anything fancy I spot around Ballsbridge / Grand Canal on my lunchtime walks is usually on UK plates; The only exception I can think about is an AMG C63 I've seen parked up a couple of times (141 reg, if I recall correctly).

The only exception? In the last couple of weeks alone I've come across a Ferrari 458, a McLaren, Porsche GT4, R8 V10, a C63S Bentley SUV as well as a few BMW M4/i8 all recently registered on Irish plates :confused:

They'll get tested just like any other car, I've seen some nice stuff in the Deansgrange centre over the years FWIW.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,515 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

It's a rudimentary test. Most supercars that are well looked after (and most of them are) pass. No cloaks and daggers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Dacia Dusters

Base spec dusters don't even have a radio...unreal

Advertisement