Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Need help deciding

Options
  • 19-07-2016 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

So the power steering column is gone on my 2006 micra and rather than putting good money after bad I've decided I will buy something else. I have also had two babies in two years so the micra was no longer spacious enough any way.

I want something that can take a bit of abuse I suppose as I really do cover a lot of mileage. I also want to stay with a petrol engine.
    I have whittled it down to 4 cars I have seen locally. Both mechanics can vouch for all cars.

I just can't decide which is the best purchase.
    A 2002 Corolla verso 1.6 petrol 160000km
    A 2006 Honda civic salon 1.4 petrol 160000km
    A 2006 avensis 1.6 petrol 144000km
    Or a 2007 Corolla 1.4petrol 180000km

I have driven the Corolla and found it very dead, taking off in first gear was ok but going into second gave me no boost whatsoever. The car also reeks of tobacco. The mechanic also told me after I drove it that the clutch has been changed. He said it was a bit sticky and he felt it was better to change it as ppl would just complain.
    The civic was ok. I found the steering different but the mechanic said that's because it's electric?? And I would maybe get used to it.
    I'm driving the avenis and verso today but I really need to decide fast.
    I need a car that's going to take big mileage and will be inexpensive to service etc or at least no cause me problems.

Could anybody in the know advise me?
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Fairly mixed bag there.

Afaik your Micra has electric steering too so I wouldn't get too bogged down on getting used to the feel.

Tbh they all sound like ropey enough propositions... you'd probably find a 5dr hatch better than a 4dr saloon like the Civic or Avensis.

The Corolla Verso sounds most suitable to your needs i'd say but i'd imagine if it's like most older Versos it'l have seen a long, hard life to this point. You'd want to be buying it with a good length of NCT and with a few quid put aside for whatever is going to break.

Advertisement