Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Penalty points on a learners permit.

Options
  • 19-07-2016 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi all,

IN ADVANCE****
    If this question is in the irrelevant section, I would appreciate if someone could guide me towards it, or move this thread.

Had abit of a problem yesterday. Got stopped by the Garda for the first time ever. I was on a motorbike. They told me I was speeding, but didn't take any of my information down, and didn't tell me im getting fine. They asked me to produce my licence and insurance at the local Garda station as I didn't have it on me at the time.

This is my second learner permit - first I received in 2013, prior the 7 penalty point law came in.

The first permit I held was for a car only, but this permit, which I received only last year, is for both a motorbike and a car.

I have read that the 7 penalty point system applies only to learners holding their first permit, but would like some clarification if any of you may know. Does this apply to me? Or does this permit counts as my first as it was my first permit including a motorbike - the vehicle I was driving?

Would like to know what to expect going into the Garda station later on.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

OSI wrote: »
    Should be a code on the back somewhere that's either 991 or 992. If it's 991 it's classed as your first permit, 992 is your second.

I'm on my second permit and it still has 991 on the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 P1ston H3ad

I will check it out now. Thanks guys.

Now the second question is - I failed to produce a licence on the spot, as well as breaking the speed limit.
    Do the penalty points add on top of one another, Eg 3 for speeding, and 1 for not being able to produce licence on the spot = 4 points.

Or do the points count towards the highest offence at the time of the stop? Eg 3 vs 1 = 3 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭noel100

You can get several point in one go but it is only the highest amount that you receive say the highest is 3 that is all you get

• Registered Users Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭mikeecho

PeteK* wrote: »
    Where did you get that information from?
    I don't agree with it.

It's true.

You can get multiple fines, but only points for one offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

mikeecho wrote: »
    It's true.

You can get multiple fines, but only points for one offence.

Do you mean in court or before it gets to that stage?

I'd like to read it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

OSI wrote: »
    Should be a code on the back somewhere that's either 991 or 992. If it's 991 it's classed as your first permit, 992 is your second.
    I'm on my second permit and it still has 991 on the back.

That code is specific to each category. For example, if a 16yo gets a first time 2 year learner permit for category W (991) and a year later adds category B (991), the licence term will still relate to the same two year period. However, when he goes to renew the permit, category W will proceed to 992 but because B was not held for a full term and will revert to 991 again. This is despite appearing on his 'second' learner permit.

Advertisement