Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cnc 6040 router

Options
  • 19-07-2016 9:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Just wanted to see if anyone bought a cnc 6040 4axis router online from China and what are they like?am looking to do some light machining and engraving on flat and round parts.any information would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Fox Mulder

I purchased a 3 axis machine a couple of years ago from YOOCNC with the intention of cutting small wooden parts for model planes. If you are interested in just cutting thin 2D shapes similar to what you would use a laser cutter for its fine. Unfortunately the machine is not stiff at all. Particularly the z axis which deflects really badly. This means that it is only suitable for wood and plastics. There is just too much chatter on aluminium. The real issue I had with my machine is the controller and missing steps. Its fine if you are doing simple 2d geometry but if you are doing 3D milling with thousands of lines of G-code the missing steps will cause your parts to be out of dimension. In the end I bought a small conventional milling machine and converted it to CNC. If you are interested in doing aluminium this is the best solution. If you are happy to use wood then the CNC routers are ideal as the bed size is so large but I would suggest one of the more expensive options like the X-carve.

The machine is fine for flat parts like this
    DSCF1847.jpg

It also does engraving and small plastic parts ok
    DSCF1835.jpg

The machine is not stiff enough for aluminium even for small parts. The below part took over two hours just because you have to take such a light cut.
    IMG_20140811_112550.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Cnc lad

Fox Mulder

Thanks for that information.i have looked at a 6040 cnc router for sale here in Ireland.it can machine wood fine but he hadn't done any aluminium or steel.i don't think it would do a great job on either which is what I would need.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 RAMADAN

I am about to change the controller for my CNC 6040 from a Chinese toshiba-chip based to one using an arduino, shield and GRBL. Hope it will be more stable with fewer missing steps.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Fox Mulder

RAMADAN wrote: »
    I am about to change the controller for my CNC 6040 from a Chinese toshiba-chip based to one using an arduino, shield and GRBL. Hope it will be more stable with fewer missing steps.

Did you get a chance to replace your controller with an Arduino. I would be interested in hearing how you got on.

Advertisement