Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

A6 2.0TDi Balance shaft assembly - GTFO

Options
  • 19-07-2016 9:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭

So, decided I've had enough of the whole thing. Swapped it out for a 'old school' pump, chain, tensioner & sprockets as found in the 1.9TDi. Initial test seems fine. Let's see how we go.

392139.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

How much is it costing you??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭dodzy

Truckermal wrote: »
    How much is it costing you??

Unfortunately, turbo damage was caused this time. Sick as a pig.

This happened to me on 100K miles. Literally a week or 2 before the failure, I was onto George in Portlaoise (very familiar with this weakness and has fixed many) with a view to repairing the unit before it failed but the fix was to upgrade to a geared system costing more than I could get my hands on at the time. The weakness in my particular unit (BLB variant) was with the chain drive. In my case, the tensioner failed (very common point of failure), causing initial chain rattle. I opted to source replacement kit (like for like parts), thinking that even though it is a fundamentally flawed system (rounding of Hex key is another common fail item), I felt that the replacement parts should see me out for a good spell of time. The kit was £250 and I also needed the oil pump replaced which cost another £180 IIRC. Anyway, got a local indy to do the work and got out with TB replacement and all works for €1100 approx.

Fast forward 8K kms and this happens:

392176.jpg
    392177.jpg
    392178.jpg

I've been onto supplier in relation to the premature failure of the parts so we will see how it goes.

So, here I am at another impasse. Opted for the delete kit as it is a much simpler & more reliable design. Just for the kit and the labour would run you approx 550-600. Obviously if you are near TB time, then that adds a few quid to the bill but the work requires belt off so best to do it while you're in there. The turbo failure more than doubled the above cost :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Jesus that's rough dude, I see the A6 has really dropped in value making a pre 08 very cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭dodzy

Truckermal wrote: »
    Jesus that's rough dude, I see the A6 has really dropped in value making a pre 08 very cheap.

Don't get me wrong, it's a lovely car. Unfortunately, I'm in too deep now to not have got it fixed. It's in mint condition and driving perfectly (now) so here's hoping that's the end of my woes. I didn't mention clutch and DMF earlier in the year but that's part of the deal with a 100K+ mile motor unfortunately. If I was to go again, on say a cheap 06 one, I'd do proper homework and get the conversion done as a PM measure.

Advertisement