Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Most reliable mid range diesel engine in the last 5 years?

Options
  • 19-07-2016 8:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I'm looking to replace my 2008 A4 B7 1.9tdi 113 bhp . Since 1999 we've had nothing but VW/AUDI 1.9tdi engined cars in our 2 car household and they've been unbelievably reliable , trouble free and economical to run doing 25000 miles per year and maintained by myself.Last time we changed I bought the last of the line 1.9tdi A4 available but now it's been discontinued what are my options.
    Is there a current engine in production which would be as good a deal as I found the old vw 1.9 to be ?
    Anything from 1.6 up delivering 120 ish bhp considered but preferably german.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,461 ✭✭✭micks_address

Honda civic 1.6 diesel? 70mpg... 120bhp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭almostover

The VW 2.0 Tdi CR engines have a good reputation. Especially the lower powered (110, 120 & 140 bhp) models. Will be very similar to the 1.9TDi you're used to working on. Different fuel injection (common rail) and the block was bored out slightly to create the 2.0.

If you're in the market for another Audi A4 style car you could do a lot worse than a newer one with the above engines.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

almostover wrote: »
    The VW 2.0 Tdi CR engines have a good reputation. Especially the lower powered (110, 120 & 140 bhp) models. Will be very similar to the 1.9TDi you're used to working on. Different fuel injection (common rail) and the block was bored out slightly to create the 2.0.

If you're in the market for another Audi A4 style car you could do a lot worse than a newer one with the above engines.

After what year did they overcome the ealier 2.0 tdi engine issues? Dpf and egr issues still prevalent in these?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,587 ✭✭✭tossy

So basically you are going to believe everything you read on the internet about an engine and then ask the internet for advice on an alternative ? :D

The 2.0TDI is the obvious move after what you've been used to. If you look after the 2.0TDI as well as you did your old cars you' should be fine, all modern diesel engines are highly strung - the don't like to be neglected.

As with all things on boards motors most of the people who will be offering reasons as to why not to go with -insert car/engine here- will have zero real world experience of said car or engine but will be master googlers :):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

Doing 25000 miles a year you should be good with any diesel engine as long as it's maintained properly. You may get issues with the flywheel but the rest should be reliable enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭almostover

Car99 wrote: »
    almostover wrote: »

After what year did they overcome the ealier 2.0 tdi engine issues? Dpf and egr issues still prevalent in these?
    2008ish. Best to check the engine code on the car to confirm. The CR engines are no less reliable than any other brand. As others have said DMF's are to be treated as a consumable with a life of approx 100k miles. EGR should be fine if you're doing higher mileage, same with the DPF. If you were able to care for a 1.9 TDi PD engine then you can care for the 2.0 TDi CR engine. They are very similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭trabpc

If its just the most reliable engine id say any car. It's generally everthing else thats bolted on to it (rest of car) where the most issues are.

With the exception of a BMW N47.Neighbours 2010 old shape has just yesterday injested swirl flaps. Turbo in jan and chain done twice- In 2014 and last yr. I was afraid to ask what bill has been. To top it off he done flywheel too but i suppose a flywheel is a consumable part.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

OK, so I'm going to post this, and you'll initially think I'm a nutjob, but hear me out.
    I've a hankering for somewhat unusual cars but also good reliable diesels for daily commute. I've had mitsu eclipse, a 3liter v6 Alfa 166, loved it... Current family car is 3 liter petrol Subaru 7 seater (Tribeca)... But for commute I was driving 08 Saab 93 estate... There was almost 200k miles on it so did a lot of research, specifically on reliability, cost of ownership, specs (heated leather seats and high end stereo being absolutes)....I assumed I would be buying an Audi, bmw or possibly a superb... But looking at the stats on reliability I ended up choosing a Renault Laguna initiale,. The reliability figures for post 2008 models are excellent, also 2ltr diesel has 150bhp which is pokey enough...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

OK, so I'm going to post this, and you'll initially think I'm a nutjob, but hear me out.
    I've a hankering for somewhat unusual cars but also good reliable diesels for daily commute. I've had mitsu eclipse, a 3liter v6 Alfa 166, loved it... Current family car is 3 liter petrol Subaru 7 seater (Tribeca)... But for commute I was driving 08 Saab 93 estate... There was almost 200k miles on it so did a lot of research, specifically on reliability, cost of ownership, specs (heated leather seats and high end stereo being absolutes)....I assumed I would be buying an Audi, bmw or possibly a superb... But looking at the stats on reliability I ended up choosing a Renault Laguna initiale,. The reliability figures for post 2008 models are excellent, also 2ltr diesel has 150bhp which is pokey enough...

And did you buy it and has it been reliable?

yes, but I only have it 3 months - done about 10k miles...
    Have had no issues at all reliability wise (same as the previous Saab in that respect)
    • It it more powerful than the Saab.
    • It is better spec'ed - heated leather seats, satnav, most importantly (for me) a really really good Bose stereo
    • The ride/steering is fairly neutral, hard to put my finger on it but I don't think as a driver I get as much direct tactile feedback from the car if I'm pushing it. The Saab was better in this respect, the 166 was exceptional in this respect. However in reality I spend most of my time on a motorway...

It is a very comfortable cabin to be in. However personally I think the seats in the Saab 93 are the most comfortable I've ever sat it.

Overall I've very happy with it. It's not a prestige brand, but in reality it's a great car to spend time in, and that is really all I care about in the end....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Mini850

Interested to know the answer to this question too. Would love a Laguna but afraid of the reliability issues.

Mini850 wrote: »
    Interested to know the answer to this question too. Would love a Laguna but afraid of the reliability issues.

for what it is worth - I did a lot of research wrt reliability. I spent a huge amount of time reading trade reviews and owner reviews (which are always subjective..), and looking at stats. One of the better sources of comparative information was http://www.reliabilityindex.com/comparison.
    The reason I like this site is that it created by data from Warranty Direct and based on real world data from actual warranty issues and the cost of resolving them.
    Just stick in the car make and models that you are interested in and it will give you detailed comparison information...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

One of the better sources of comparative information was http://www.reliabilityindex.com/comparison.

While it is good, the data seems massively outdated there... Take a Prius 2003-2009 as an example... The average age of covered cars is 5.06 years?

Another good source of data is www.truedelta.com - but it is focused mainly on US market, you won't find European models like Ford S-Max...

Advertisement