Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Shorter timing belt on Mk2 Octavia - is this an issue?

Options
  • 18-07-2016 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

Hi all,

Bought a new car about 3 weeks ago, a 2007 Skoda Octavia 1.6 Petrol. Going ok so far bar some CEL niggles. Got it from a dealer so have an 8 week warranty on major engine or gearbox issues.

Prior to purchase, had it checked out by a mechanic who gave it the all clear bar a few small issues which were sorted by the dealer. However a different mechanic today has spotted that my engine has a shorter timing belt than usual, to bypass the air conditioning. Is this going to be an issue down the line? I would assume that it has been bypassed for a major reason. The air condtioning still seems to work fine in the car though!

Will it be tricky to find a shorter belt to fit this car once it needs replacing? Or is it the case that I have a standard length timing belt, just wrapped differently?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

I'd imag8ne it's a shorter serpentine belt you have....not the timing belt.
    I had the same set up in an A4.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭AaronEnnis

Ah yes that makes more sense - I always thought the serpentine belt and timing belt were one and the same! Every day is a school day...

Did you notice any issues on the A4 with this setup?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭brembo26

The air con cannot be working correctly if the auxiliary belt is not running the air con pump.

Some people use a shorter belt to bypass the pump either because its broken or they want to save fuel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

AaronEnnis wrote: »
    Ah yes that makes more sense - I always thought the serpentine belt and timing belt were one and the same! Every day is a school day...

Did you notice any issues on the A4 with this setup?

Just that I didn't have air conditioning.

Advertisement