Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media, Eir Sport, the EPRC and RWC 2019

Options
  • 18-07-2016 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,855 ✭✭✭✭

As of today, at the end of this month, Virgin Media TV is dropping all Eir Sport and BT Sport channels due to failure to secure a commercially viable deal to host them.

This means anyone confined to Virgin, for reasons such as a dish ban in their estate etc, they no longer have access to half the European Cup games from September onwards and as it stands, no access to the Irish rights for RWC 19, which were secured by Eir Sport.

Just thought I'd mention it, so customers can start venting their spleens at the earliest opportunity. I'll be at the head of the queue.

Comments

Virgin statement here - https://www.virginmedia.ie/finalwhistle

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Welp. That's me cancelling my Virgin Media account. Do Sky carry Eir sports?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Essentially - It's on Astra, you need to deal direct with Eir rather than with Sky to subscribe however.

I suspect they'll be back by the 2019 RWC mind you, not that is any comfort at this particular juncture.

Theres a number of subplots to this story. One is the rebranding of Setanta Sports as Eir Sport and its bundling free with Eir Broadband subscriptions. This angle sees Eir Sport as a front in the broadband war, and a way to attract Virgin Broadband subscribers to Eir.

Another tale, and the spin Virgin are putting on it, is that with it now free on Eir, it makes the €22 Virgin are charging look quite steep. Virgin are presenting a story that they tried to reduce this for their customers, couldn't get Eir to budge, and consequently any customers that can't live without BT Sport are better off taking the better deal on offer elsewhere. Of course, some may be tied into contract.

There's another angle, and one not getting a lot of attention. Virgin now own TV3 and 3e (and soon UTV Ireland). There's a number of sports rights coming up for renewal soon, including the GAA rights and UEFA club competitions. This move takes Eir Sport 1 out of 300,000 Virgin Media households (not just the 30,000 taking the full Eir Sport pack), on which it had carriage on analogue and the very attractive EPG position of 105. This makes Eir Sport a lot less attractive partner for rights sellers - particularly the GAA, for whom these things take on added significance in the wake of the criticism of the Sky deal. It might just give TV3 the boost over Eir it needs to regain some of these rights. As it stands, Virgin Media customers will no longer have any means of seeing the UEFA Europa League, all but the top choice Champions League games, and half of the Formula One season, among other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,801 ✭✭✭✭phog

Sanjuro wrote: »
    Welp. That's me cancelling my Virgin Media account. Do Sky carry Eir sports?

Yes but you need to sign up via eir rather than Sky.

I think this move by Virgin plays into eir and Sky's hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Welp. That's me cancelling my Virgin Media account.

Which is exactly what Eir hoped you would do...

This is a very bad development for fans but it's the inevitable outcome of sports rights being used as a sweetener to sell broadband (as Eir have publicly stated) rather than a product in its own right.

Also;
    http://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/virgin-media-to-drop-eir-sport-and-bt-from-cable-offering-1.2726352

Confirmation that the only sports rights that matter are the Premier League...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I'm on Sky and currently have BT via Setanta - I pay just once per year in November. It'll be interesting to see what happens when the renewal comes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

vienne86 wrote:
    I'm on Sky and currently have BT via Setanta - I pay just once per year in November. It'll be interesting to see what happens when the renewal comes up.

I assume you get that via a dish? Given the way both Virgin and Eir are acting the maggot I think I'll just by-pass them both. Are my options a choice between Sky (also well able to act the maggot) or an Astra dish and and I subscribe a la carte?
    Price is not the main issue. I just want the channels I want and no messing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,602 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

So just to clarify. The only way to get BT back is to either switch to Sky TV, or switch to EIR broadband. I can't buy eir sports as a standalone?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,855 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

^ Correct. It must be linked to some primary provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Larbre34 wrote: »

Can it be got via a dish with a direct subscription?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Which is exactly what Eir hoped you would do...

To be honest, I've been looking for the excuse for a while. Laziness has stopped me from switching from Virgin. I was quite happy with UPC, despite minor issues. But since the switch over happened, I've found the service has taken quite a nose dive.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,855 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

First Up wrote: »
    Can it be got via a dish with a direct subscription?

I don't think so, Eir Sport themselves seem to suggest that its only via Eir Broadband or Sky TV.

There might be some method of getting BT Sport UK directly through a dish but I dont know it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭lertsnim

errlloyd wrote: »
    So just to clarify. The only way to get BT back is to either switch to Sky TV, or switch to EIR broadband. I can't buy eir sports as a standalone?
    Larbre34 wrote: »

You don't need Sky TV to get Eir Sport and BT Sport. Eir Sport are completely separate to Sky and handle all of their own subscriptions. They should be able to provide you with a viewing card, though some people say it's easier to get blood from a stone. The only other thing you would need to do is have the satellite and Sky box already. Both of which can be gotten cheaply online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

To be honest, I've been looking for the excuse for a while. Laziness has stopped me from switching from Virgin. I was quite happy with UPC, despite minor issues. But since the switch over happened, I've found the service has taken quite a nose dive.

In what way? I think it's gotten better. Recently got a new Router from them and it's excellent

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Synode wrote: »
    In what way? I think it's gotten better. Recently got a new Router from them and it's excellent

If you have a seperate router Virgin have the best BB on offer. It's a different story if your taking your BB from the horizon TV box though.

If you have a seperate router Virgin have the best BB on offer. It's a different story if your taking your BB from the horizon TV box though.

Yeah that was a pile of shíte alright. I separated mine years ago (within a month or so of getting the Horizon box)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Explain please?

I'm getting my internet through the Horizon box, can I buy some other bit of kit to connect to it to make it better?

Explain please?

I'm getting my internet through the Horizon box, can I buy some other bit of kit to connect to it to make it better?

Split the cable coming into your house. One goes to the Horizon box for TV, the other goes to a separate router for the internet and phone. You'll need to contact Virgin and tell them you're not happy with the signal of the Horizon box. Tell them you want to separate.

The most annoying part of those Horizon boxes was when you had to turn it off to reset the internet if it dropped (which was a regular occurrence for me). If you were watching something or recording something they'd be interrupted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Maybe slightly off topic but it seems more and more like all major live sport is going down the pay route. What do RTE have left bar some GAA/Autumn Rugby Internationals/6 Nations to 2017/1 CL game per week/ROI Soccer internationals (Competitive) and few LOI matches? I'm afraid to say that I have had to shell out to both Sky/BT to get a decent amount of live sport including rugby union my favourite game.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

After the next Six Nations, the autumn internationals and the AIL play offs is all they have left in rugby union terms anyway. Sad to think that up to two years ago we had at least one game every weekend (other than European Cup weekends) during the season.

I suspect the Autumn Internationals won't last long on RTE once the Six Nations goes, given they are now shared with Sky. I expect the 2017 AIs to be the last on RTE and the next contract to be exclusive to Sky. I don't RTE will fight enough to keep them if it's the only pro rugby left on the station.

The saving grace might be that I now think Eir is highly unlikely, while this dispute remains unresolved, to sublicence the 2019 RWC to TV3, which could put RTE in prime position to acquire those rights. However that could form part of the eventual resolution of this dispute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

icdg wrote: »
    After the next Six Nations, the autumn internationals and the AIL play offs is all they have left in rugby union terms anyway. Sad to think that up to two years ago we had at least one game every weekend (other than European Cup weekends) during the season.

I suspect the Autumn Internationals won't last long on RTE once the Six Nations goes, given they are now shared with Sky. I expect the 2017 AIs to be the last on RTE and the next contract to be exclusive to Sky. I don't RTE will fight enough to keep them if it's the only pro rugby left on the station.

The saving grace might be that I now think Eir is highly unlikely, while this dispute remains unresolved, to sublicence the 2019 RWC to TV3, which could put RTE in prime position to acquire those rights. However that could form part of the eventual resolution of this dispute.

I think your predictions are 'on the money' as they say but I hope RTE keep AI's so that we will not have to shell out money to Sky to keep watching Ireland live. Up to this point those of us on this island are fortunate re Irish rugby in that where Sky has rights to national team e.g. in England there is no other way of seeing that team live except via Sky. Here in NI there was no geo-blocking either of RTE's coverage of AI's in 2014 on RTE either via Sky Digital or the local NIMM. I hope this continues for some time.
    However I fear RTE are a bit like BBC at the moment regarding sporting rights i.e. just about holding on and no more to what they have and soon to release their grip with cost cutting in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Synode wrote: »
    Split the cable coming into your house. One goes to the Horizon box for TV, the other goes to a separate router for the internet and phone. You'll need to contact Virgin and tell them you're not happy with the signal of the Horizon box. Tell them you want to separate.

The most annoying part of those Horizon boxes was when you had to turn it off to reset the internet if it dropped (which was a regular occurrence for me). If you were watching something or recording something they'd be interrupted.

Cheers thanks. Is there not some adapter you can buy for the cable that comes into the house as it is, or do you need a totally separate cable coming in for TV and internet?

Cheers thanks. Is there not some adapter you can buy for the cable that comes into the house as it is, or do you need a totally separate cable coming in for TV and internet?

There is an adapter - a coax cable splitter. You'll pick them up in Power City or the like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Splitter_331895.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,931 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Maybe slightly off topic but it seems more and more like all major live sport is going down the pay route.

That's the plan!

Advertisement