Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice Needed - Selling PC - Want to wipe Windows

Options
  • 18-07-2016 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am selling my old PC with the exception of the HDD's, Power Supply and GFX card.

It has Windows 10 on it (From a legit Windows 7 Retail cd upgrade)

What should I do so I can give myself a best shot of using that license on my new PC?

Any help appreciated.

Comments

You can't.

The Windows 10 digital entitlement is tied to the PC. Since it's a retail copy you upgraded from they might let you transfer it but I'm not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

OK.. So I may aswell not do anything and just sell it as it is?

Just out of interest, should I then install Windows 7 on my new PC and try upgrade to Windows 10 that way?

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

Karsini wrote: »
    You can't.

The Windows 10 digital entitlement is tied to the PC. Since it's a retail copy you upgraded from they might let you transfer it but I'm not sure.

Things are changing in that department.
    Microsoft Eases Activation Restrictions With Windows 10 Anniversary Update
    Ever since Microsoft MSFT +1.24% introduced its anti-piracy activation scheme with Windows XP all those years ago, it has been a thorn in the side of hardware enthusiasts. To put it simply, Microsoft’s Windows Activation scheme uses a unique identifier, generated by the specific components in a computer system, along with a personalized serial number for the OS, to activate and tie a license to said system. Performing minor upgrades usually didn’t cause any issues, but if you performed a major upgrade – like replacing a motherboard and processor, for example — the OS would assume it was installed on another system and de-activate automatically, and force a call into Microsoft’s activation support line.
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/marcochiappetta/2016/06/27/microsoft-eases-activation-restrictions-with-windows-10-anniversary-update/#48bb79bd3ac3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Just to update on this - I installed Windows 10 Pro on my new PC, used my legitimate Windows 7 Product Key from my older PC and it worked perfectly!

Advertisement