Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Identify Furniture - Help!

Options
  • 18-07-2016 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi there - I am hoping someone can help me identify a piece of furniture for me. It is a large dresser / Side board type of thing. Possibly Spanish Walnut. There is no stamp on it, and we have no idea how old it is etc. Its about 6ft in length. Does anyone how old it might be or its worth? It is extremely heavy. Any help or heads up appreciated! How do I post an image to Boards.ie?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Sk2016 wrote: »
    Hi there - I am hoping someone can help me identify a piece of furniture for me. It is a large dresser / Side board type of thing. Possibly Spanish Walnut. There is no stamp on it, and we have no idea how old it is etc. Its about 6ft in length. Does anyone how old it might be or its worth? It is extremely heavy. Any help or heads up appreciated! How do I post an image to Boards.ie?

You can't post pics until you have 50 posts. Try sending me a PM with a picture and I'll put it up for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Sk2016

Thanks a million. Couldn't post the picture in the private mail either! Give me 10 mins and I'll try it again! Sorry...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

sd.png

Can't help with a valuation but there are others who will be able to help.

Thank you so much for doing this!!

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Diddley Squat

Hi - It is in the late 17th /early 18th century style .
    But it looks like it might be quite modern. It looks too 'sharp and bright' to be period.

If you can post an image of the side of a drawer or else one of the underside then I can tell you the age. They were made of different construction in the early days:)

Reproductions have a fairly modest value - but it is worth checking in case it is a genuine article.
    Walnut or oak were traditionally used for such pieces.

• Advertisement

That's all great info! Thanks a million. Yes it is in perfect condition, so you would imagine its new enough. Weighs a ton! Unfortunately I cant post pictures here yet. (Some one kindly did it for me) Is there any chance I could email it to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Diddley Squat

3f74d4de-11db-11e6-8ecc-f186cbf4f7b3.jpgThats what it should look like (the joining) - the pegs should be sticking out as the shrinkage rate differs between the timbers and it pushes the peg out over time.

Some copies are made in the 19th and 20th century but the pegs are usually flush (as the copier misses the 'proud peg' feature).

If that joining type is present we can go to the drawer for further investigation :)

Advertisement