Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

first time buyer, advice needed please

Options
  • 18-07-2016 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭

Hello,

I'm involved (with my gf) in getting a new car as our family is growing. I've never bought a car myself before and the gf has only bought one. She got a Corsa in 2007, she bought it new.
    We're looking at this

http://www.adverts.ie/car/kia/ceed/kia-ceed-2011/10919051

We'd be looking to trade in the Corsa. If possible could someone advise us is this a good car. I know it's an import from the UK as the log book pictured shows Bolton. Is it dodgy to buy cars like this or is it common enough for dealers to import and resell? I will do the car check thing (is this done of the chassis number or the reg).
    It will be used as a family car, two kids under three. Mostly driving to from work in Dublin (20 miles a day). Also we go to Kildare regularly enough to see family and Galway maybe every three months or so.
    We'd be looking to get a mechanic to look it over though I don't know any personally. Is it common enough to just cold call a mechanic and pay him to go see it or would the dealer be likely to bring it to a garage of my choosing.
    Sorry if I'm leaving out anything. Like I said I've never been involved in buying a car as I've always cycled to work (don't hate me).
    Thanks in advance or any help, info or suggestions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Nuw

I know it's a silly question but wouldn't the corsa accommodate for the kids? Underlying question is do you really need to change or do you want to change?

Given the kids won't outgrow the car just yet, I'd personally just wait for them to be really squeezed before moving on to something bigger once I've saved more to purchase something nice(r)... Just me though ;)

Other than that, it seems you have it covered, give this one a read though.

The Cee'd is a pretty safe bet, I'd go for petrol personally, but again, just me ;) Given the mileage you'll be doing, a diesel might work cheaper... I don't know the diesel very much, others would have more knowledge than me on this one and would advise if it's worth it.

Generally speaking a diesel is more money spent on maintenance and attracts a premium when you buy but these can be recoup with the lower cost on fuel, you'd have to do the maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭tjc28

Sorry I'm only getting back to replying now. Thanks for the information you gave. Turns out I actually know a mechanic who works for Kia and he's looked it over and done some checks and thinks it's a good deal so we pulled the trigger and are collecting this weekend. Not sure we could of done much more on it so yeah new car here we come. Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Nuw

No bother ;)

Enjoy your new ride!

Advertisement